Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you open the case?

This is going to sound really dumb, but I bought an Ethernet card last week to install in my computer in preparation for getting broadband (at last!). I asked how I installed it and was told where it went and what to do and I figured it sounded pretty basic and I could do it myself.

Except... tonight I followed the instructions and left the computer plugged in but turned off at the wall, and then went to remove the case around my hard drive. And I found I had NO IDEA how to remove it! I unscrewed five large round screws at the back but that did nothing as the case appears to be riveted on. I know it must come off because I've had other things installed and repairs done, but I spent ages looking and am still none the wiser! I realise there are gazillions of different computers out there, but I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some idea of where to be looking to get the cover off! I have a PC Company tower-style hard drive with a CD drive at the top and a floppy disk drive about halfway down the front.

I know I sound really blonde (but I haven't been since I was about 20!) but it's not like they cover this anywhere! I had a look at all the guff that came with the computer but even in the part about installing a modem, the only instruction it gives is "carefully remove the cover..." BUT HOW?????

(PS, Does this qualify as the dumbest question ever asked?)

Default Re: How do you open the case?

The PC Co. cases that I have come across need to have the plastic front removed to expose the screws that undo the sides.

Slip your hand underneath the front and feel around for a latch then pull it forward and slightly upwards if you find one.

The PC Co cases are designed to be hard to get into and believe me you are not the first to ask this same question.

To open it, put you hand under the bottom front edge and pull out and upwards. This will remove the front plastic section and you can then access the screws inside that hold the case sides in place.

Some cases open from the front. Even tho, you unscrew from the back.

Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower and slide the cover back from the tower,IBM had towers like this they are hard to take off at first but once you get the hang of it then its easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitech
    Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower and slide the cover back from the tower,IBM had towers like this they are hard to take off at first but once you get the hang of it then its easy.
    Not with these cases. They only have rivets at the back of the case. You access the case from the front underneath the plastic casing.

Edit: the only screws you need to remove at the back are the ones holding the back of the motherboard for the ports. You only need to remove these if you want to swing out the motherboard on that side. Access from the other side doesn't normally require these back screws to be removed.
    Last edited by Jen; 25-06-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Unscrew all the screws from the back of the tower
    be warned. be carefull what the screws hold in. you might be unscrewing the power supply which can fall into the pc damageing parts.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Elite

The following is a true story. Some guy proudly showed up to a computer shop with a case he had opened himself ... by drilling out all the rivets. My workmate tells me that the case structure was somewhat affected since it seemed to sway about.
    --
    Me pics

As said, PC Company case open from the front with a place for you fingers underneath. It just pulls out (with a little bit of force). The screws at the back are the PSU screws from memory. If this is the case, I would put these back in, as the screws for the side panels are situated behind the front plastic panel
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Thanks everyone, I honestly thought it was one of those stupid questions that I'd get laughed at for posting! I am definitely of the don't force anything in case you break it variety but I just slipped my fingers underneath the front of the case and pulled gently on both sides and voila, it opened! I will now do all the safe things like turning everything off and see how I go. I knew there had to be a way in and you have all shown me the way!

Thanks!