Default Which brand of memory to buy?

Hi,

I own a Compaq Presario with 256MB of RAM and wish to add a 1GB memory module to speed things up. All I need is standard DDR 333 RAM (not high performance) but would like to buy quality over price. Which brand should I go for? HP tells me that as long as I buy a name brand I should be okay, so I have found several brands to choose from. I'm not interested in overclocking, just wish to have a reliable long-lasting piece of hardware in my PC. Are there some I should or should not get or are they all basically the same? The ones I have found so far are: Adata, Legend, Kingmax, Kingston, Corsair.

Thanks for your help.

MTLance

Default Re: Which brand of memory to buy?

Depends on your MOBO check the MOBO Menu. I use Kingston on P4P800 SE motherboard it supports Kingston. Brand? Made in China, I should say, but there's a lot of different quality type of products being produce in China. The good quality one is expensive but they can last quite a long time. It just depends.

The motherboard is an ASUS P4SD-LA (Oxford). I have had no success finding information on this board. ASUStek doesn't have anything and HP doesn't recommend any type of RAM in particular. Here is the information from HP's website:

PART / FEATURE SPECIFICATION / SUPPORT
    Motherboard Description MB manufacturer: ASUS P4SD-LA PES revision 0.01
    HP name: Oxford-UL6E

CPU Socket 478
    Intel Pentium 4 Northwood/Prescott
    New power design for up to 3.2+ GHz

Chipset Intel 848P (Breeds Hill)
    MCH with Intel ICH5
    Supports DDR 266/333/400 SDRAM
    Supports Ultra DMA 66/100 IDE devices
    Supports Ultra DMA 150 Serial ATA device

Front Side Bus (FSB) 800/533/400 MHz

System Memory Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
    Up to 2GB memory (the PC manufacturer's recommended maximum memory may differ)
    Non-ECC 2.5V DDR SDRAM
    Register DIMM not supported

MTLance

Then I must say buy the RAM that your MOBO supported. I bought the RAM that my MOBO supported in the MOBO menu book.

Thanks MTLance. When I last looked the RAM had a label with Infineon written on it, so I'll have a look around for that.

MTLance

No Problem. Do you know when I first buy my MOBO I quickly use the menu book to find what RAM it supported and show it to them what size of RAM of do you want and they'll recommend the product to you. Don't be shy asking them they'll know you're a geniue customer plus surveying around can get better price.

dougalw - DDR is DDR. It doesn't matter what brand of memory you buy as long as it's DDR memory (not DDR2). ALL DDR memory should be supported by your motherboard. That said, if you can get a reliable brand it's certainly better. Kingston RAM is good quality (one of the better brands), and from memory they have a good warranty policy too. You could also opt to buy RAM from Dick Smith Electronics - they have a 5 year warranty on theirs. It's not as good as the kingston stuff, but with a five year warranty it's hard to go wrong - and DSE is usually excellent about honouring warranties as long as you keep the receipt and packaging. I believe corsair is also good, but check with someone else before buying it - I'm not completely sure.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Elite

you can search Kington's Mem Picker if you are worried about compatability. No need to buy their stuff but it is good for checking allowed configurations of RAM sticks.

ASUS typically don't have any details on their boards supplied to places like HP - typically they are just a variation of a version available to the public at large (usually with annoying stuff such as less RAM slots), with a customised BIOS.
    --
    Me pics

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go for Kingston as it seems to have a good name at alot of hardware review sites. Will have a look at Dick Smith too. Cheers.