Default HP Pavilion 3260

More trouble! Just because I managed to get a mates computer going over the weekend heís rewarded me by dropping off a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 3260.

A quick inspection revealed that the best way to deal with this was a Format and Reinstallation. All went well except Iím stuck with 16 colours and a 640 x 480 screen.

Ok, I guess what we need is the correct video driver but despite hours of Googleing I canít find one. (Google has not been my friend lately.)

Iíve installed Everest and it assures me the MB is a Asus TXR 1.12 with a Intel Triton 82430tx chipset.

Anyone any suggestions? (without being rude)

Default Re: HP Pavilion 3260

I think that old model may have had an ATI (ATI 26VT2) video adapter card, not "on-board" video.
    Is that the case? (should be plain to determine, just look at where the video cable plugs in to determine if it's a card or on-board)

Angry Re: HP Pavilion 3260

Quit right again GF. Everything Iíve found in my "googling" suggests that should be the case. However, on this one the display connector is firmly anchored to the motherboard.

Even more frustrating is that Asus donít appear to acknowledge that they ever manufactured a TXR 1.12. Itís a ATA mini with two ISA slots and one, yes one, PCI slot.

I found a driver for the board you suggest but would you believe it clearly says it works for 95 98, and 2000 and XP come with the driver, but it clearly says it is not compatible with ME and yes, thatís what the computer is running.

So, Iíll have a little look for a ATI driver that works with ME. Just in case they somehow incorporated the chip on board. A fairly long shot indeed. Dahhh.

HP often had "custom versions" of brand name motherboards, hence the difficulty you may have getting the data.

That PC shipped with Windows 95 according to the HP site, hence the difficulty finding ME drivers.

An interesting issue here, that may affect you if you ever get that far?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250140/

That MS article is very interesting GF, because what it described did in fact happen.

On the first occasion I blamed the error for not having more than 16 colours so I reformatted and installed again. I wonder if Iíve got Audio? Havenít got that far.

Anyway, Iíve downloaded a driver from the ATI site and am presently installing it so hereís hoping.

Personally, I would take the darn thing straight to the green bin but unfortunately itís not mine.