Thread: Router problem

Default Router problem

Hi
    I have been using a nokia m1122 router with my two home computers running xp. My router recently failed, when it was turned off abrutly at the wall socket. I have bought a new one, a US robotics sureconnect 9106. I set up this router to connect to my adsl account and it works fine on this computer. However on the other computer, i am unable to connect to the internet and under network connections, it says the network card is unable to obtain a ip address/Network does not assign one to the computer. Does anyone know what the problem is. I suspect the network card could have failed, as it was connected and running with the router, at the time of failure.

Default Re: Router problem

I don't want to be a bringer of sad news. I won't touch US Robotics routers again. I had 2 US Robotics 9105 routers and 1 9107 router. Useing them as a strait router they were ok but as soon as you opened up some ports on the routers they use to overheat and disconnect from the internet. Even in normal use the case use to get fairly hot. I now run a DSE XH1169 router and it barely gets warm.

Trevor

Well, what would you suggest as a good router. i am looking for one with adsl2 compability and wireless 802.11

I would try a Linksys WAG546 ADSL2 wireless router.

Trevor
    Last edited by Trev; 11-06-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Pedant and proud of it

Don't go rushing off to buy a different router, just because someone had problems with a different model.

I suspect the card is probably OK because it is causing an error message. Do the link lights show on both ends of the cable? Do they go out if you disvonnect the cable? You should also get a "cable" error on the computer, too.

Try giving that computer a fixed IP address. (or make sure that the router has got its DHCP server enabled.)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L
    Don't go rushing off to buy a different router, just because someone had problems with a different model.

I suspect the card is probably OK because it is causing an error message. Do the link lights show on both ends of the cable? Do they go out if you disvonnect the cable? You should also get a "cable" error on the computer, too.

Try giving that computer a fixed IP address. (or make sure that the router has got its DHCP server enabled.)
    Actually 3 routers 2 the same model and 1 a differant model.

Trevor