Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default About these news ideas from the CC

well, they are saying ''FASTER INTERNET, FASTER INTERNET!!'' and thats great, although, i need more bandwidth, i go to at least 30gb each month...i still got a few weeks to go right now and im at 30gbs so yeah, im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet once its ''unbundled'' as this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx
    Last edited by jesse_jax; 08-06-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Default Re: About these news ideas from the CC

I think you will find even ** when ** NZ unbundled There may be a time when ISP's offer unlimited downloads, but as we all know unlimited downloads don’t last for long, Take a look at orcon or slingshot & what happened with them,

so I think the same will happen after NZ unbundleds, but the ISPs will go back to caps, maybe bigger then what we have now i.e. 10 GB etc… but NZ will all ways have caps.

I have to ask how do you move 30 GB/month???!!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_jax
    , i go to at least 30gb each month...
    im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx
    You hog - stop pirating.

I am sure "unlimited" will be available, but you will have to pay for it.

As bandwidth in to the country is expensive, and faster connections will use more of it at peak times, I expect the cost of unlimited to be very high.

I get by easily on 1 - 1.5 GB per month of my 5 GB allowance, so it will not be an issue for me and many other similar people, but I would object if I had to subsidise the "bandwidth hogs", as would all the other moderate users.

I get by easily on 1 - 1.5 GB per month of my 5 GB allowance, so it will not be an issue for me and many other similar people, but I would object if I had to subsidise the "bandwidth hogs", as would all the other moderate users.
    That's the exact reason why "unlimited" access isn't a good idea, though more reasonable data caps would be good provided the infrastructure can handle it (at this stage, I think any increase in datacaps would have a negative effect on speed based on most people's experience with JetStream over the last few months).
    Last edited by maccrazy; 08-06-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_jax
    well, they are saying ''FASTER INTERNET, FASTER INTERNET!!'' and thats great, although, i need more bandwidth, i go to at least 30gb each month...i still got a few weeks to go right now and im at 30gbs so yeah, im wanting to know if we will have unlimited internet once its ''unbundled'' as this would be awesome for mass downloaders like me. thx
    What the hell do you do to get through 30GB per month? I am quite a heavy user and only get through 8GB per month. That is viewing lots of streaming programs, downloading lots of trial software etc, video skype calls etc. I am just wondering why I should be expected to subsidise high bandwidth users such as yourself. If you use the data then you should be expected to pay for it. I am sick of these people who think they should be getting as much as they can eat for next to nothing. Bandwidth is expensive ands someone has to pay for it. User pays, and your average user probably uses less than 2GB per month.

This is what I was on before I came to new zealand,

http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=3246

And before any one goes on about sharing cables with everyone else and speed dips, yes we did but only telewest cables as they have there own network and all underground, and my connection was always full speed and that was in the heart of edinburgh.

Now I am on 2mb (when I'm lucky at 4am) and with a 10gb cap
    I could cry sometimes........oh well.

Mode3
    jesus did it for the chicks

Quote Originally Posted by rogerp
    . your average user probably uses less than 2GB per month.
    I know lot of people are into online gaming, a few game demo downloads, and the bandwith needed for online play and two gig a month is nothing.

Long time RTS Gamer

I like caps and then slowdowns. But maybe graduated slowdowns.

up to 10%. No slowdown - Sorry I just needed that extra file.
    10% over. 25% slowdown
    25% over. 50% slowdown
    50% over. 75% slowdown
    100%+ over. dialup speed ... You data hog
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

How is it that telstraclear can have a 10mbps a second download and yet we are told by all media that their is no faster internet in the country as 3.5mbps is the fastest we are told. So how does telstraclear come up with a plan like this at this speed.

LightSpeed 40G
    40G of monthly traffic
    10 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream
    Choose your ISP - paradise.net or clear.net
    Free helpdesk support
    2G additional usage packs charged at $2.95 per month per pack