Wanderer

Default How do I install a linux modem driver?

Hi, yes I know I have a HCF modem as it says on the box I checked.

I went here

I followed its instructions and typed "rpm -i XXXX.rpm"

There is a option of typing hcfpciconfig but I am confused. So I skipped that and went to System - Adminstration - Network - and add device - modem and directed it to "dev/modem" which accordinly to my guide should direct it to dev/ttySHCF0 but it is still not working.

When I active the modem it says, failed to activate ClearNet with error 7.

Any help? I am running Fedora 5. I am hoping to get modem working so I can use YUMextender or such in a GUI or a console dialog box with command lines so I can follow my linux guide and install some softwares and get Firefox working.

Thanks.

Wanderer

Default Re: How do I install a linux modem driver?

It appears now I have it installed. Now, upon restart when it starts it says something like "bringing up interface ClearNet"

But it does not connect. When I lift the handset up it appears when its being received by the ISP its trying to redial then the ISP disconnected and it just keeps retrying like this unsuccessfully.

Any assistance? How do I boot into Fedora while its stalled at bootup ... and do my fixers?

RC

Wanderer

I have now managed to remove my internal modem card. Get into Fedora and deactivate it from start up.

Now I have tried to activate it within Fedora. I have also turned the volume on (modem speaker). What I hear now seems to be that, it dials ok, but it always beeps non stop, even when you hear the screetchy sound. It then fails. Redials and again beeps non stop ... and does it non stop.

Any help?

I'm a Linux newbie, so can't help directly, but I do know from experience that if you shell out for a full hardware modem all your problems will go away.
    If you do a search on linux winmodem you'll find plenty of info to help with software modems..
    "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." ~ Harry Weinberger

Pedant and proud of it

Grrr. There's only one thing worse than people who won't read the instructions and that's someone who reads them, then doesn't follow them.

I strongly suspect that if you had run that hcfpciconfig script it would have made the soft link at /dev/modem. It almost certainly would have doine a few other things needed to make the modem work.

Even now I would try using it. Or even try rpm --replace (blah blah.rpm) to do the installation again.

The failure to work might be caused by a wrong "locale". Does the Fedora know you are in NZ? Various telephone systems have different dial tones and other signals needed for a modem to work.