Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What The F!!?!! Ihug Will Include Uploads to Monthly Data Allowance!!!

Just received an email from Ihug that they would start counting in the uploads to the monthly data cap starting July 2006. I switched to ihug from quicksilver because of the unlimited data upload. What the hell is going on???
    Last edited by e-tim; 26-05-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Computer Tech

Default Re: What The F!!?!! Ihug Will Include Uploads to Monthly Data Allowance!!!

Yea I just found that out today too!
    I've got quite a few mates to switch to iHug because of the free uploads.
    They say they doing it to be in line with what Telecom are doing???

Default Re: What The F!!?!! Ihug Will Include Uploads to Monthly Data Allowance!!!

They also appear to be changing their off peak times on the 1st of July.

Now I'm not against change, if fact change can be a good thing, but when the change will affect the way I work and play, then I think its time for a change.

I have a feeling the new ihug motto is - give less take more.
    Last edited by gcarmich; 26-05-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Life is about give and take.
    Shame some people take take take.

Y'arrr

The change of off-peak times has been done by one or two other ISP's as well. Allows them to better distribute bandwidth during peak periods. All ISP's have to oversbuscribe, it's a fact of life.

I imaigne the reasons for the upload policy change is due to:
    1. Because everyone else does.
    2. Because as of next month Telecom will be charging ISPs for overage per user (depending on what they've negotiated as an aggregate cap) which includes bidirectional traffic.
    Last edited by ninja; 26-05-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

So not much left to make ihug stand out from the crowd.

its nothing new really. ihug expsiecly are known to make atractive plans to entice customers then change the plan to make money or simply to cut cost. for eg in this case the carrot was free uploads and now they take that away because its costing them to much $$$.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Pedant and proud of it

DATA BANDWIDTH COSTS MONEY.

When will you people learn this simple fact of life?

If your ISP is charged for every octet you use, up or down, they have to charge you for it. Otherwise they can't pay their bills.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja
    2. Because as of next month Telecom will be charging ISPs for overage per user (depending on what they've negotiated as an aggregate cap) which includes bidirectional traffic.
    Did they not used to do this?

I don't have a problem with that, I understand that DATA costs money - what I have a problem with is being offering a plan and then having it changed on me a couple of months later. So from July 1 - I'm getting less for my money than I am now.

Most other countries that have DSL the opposite would happen, they would increase my speed and/or my data allowance at some point in the future for the same money.

what I have a problem with is being offering a plan and then having it changed on me a couple of months later. So from July 1 - I'm getting less for my money than I am now.
    exactly..it sucks big time. for some reason ISP's seem to away with it for eg my cell phone plan hasn't changed even tho that actual plan no longer exists and its cheaper than most current plans.

however IHUG could just drop that service forcing everyone to go to another plan or ISP.
    Tweak it till it breaks