Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default disk defragmenter

I am running win 98se. I turn on the disk defragmenter and the computer starts checking the drive, and that is all it does for half an hour or more. No running data ,no details at all. Any suggestions please. Are there any free alternatives available. Thanks
    Eddie

Default Re: disk defragmenter

Hi eddieparker,
    That w 98 SE defrag is a pain in the butt - if you want to watch it complete- especially for the first time you defrag- but if you leave the 'pooter running - my first on W 98 SE took 17 hours) it keeps going back to 10% and restarting- but it will work - eventually
    There used to be free software called speed defrag which goes through it's paces very quickly - but I have an idea that since I used it one now has to pay for it.
    You could, if it is available download the trial- defrag the once then go back to your original --BUT defrag say once a month at the least, whether you get this or not- after the first time it is far quicker anyway

effie c

Do you have enough free space left on the drive? Disk defrag requires a certain amount (can't remember off the top of my head) otherwise it will not run. Also run the program in Safe Mode to rule out any other program interferring with it. To get into Safe Mode, just tap the F8 key when the computer starts up until you see a boot menu with the option of Safe Mode. Use the arrow keys to select that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    run the program in Safe Mode
    Can't recall if safe mode allows screensavers to run - if so they should be disabled.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

...and, you will get that 10% thing if you are running Windows (naturally) in regular mode...but in Safe Mode, you shut down most of the stuff that needs to be defragged and it's a lot easier then for 98 to do it.

Just make sure to shut off internet access if you run in Safe Mode...that way you'll not get a hang-up in defrag when something pops in/up/down/under the screen and slows the process.

You can probably do this too in the task manager..but that's a lot of trouble shutting down things that you may not know about. Just use Safe Mode.

You'll find that defrag runs a lot faster and actually does a better job if it can move dormant files around as it sees fit.

A file that is open (or running) cannot be moved...an old law of puters. You will see them as files that cannot or will not be moved.

I know this opens a can of worms about creating a shadow copy of a currently-running program, but that is still according to the rule, as nothing is being modified then.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

there is heaps on the net on this.

safe mode is easy but slow. internet normaly dosn't work when in safe mode and you will find things like cd drives and other devices will also fail to work.
    otherwise run it in normall mode but you will need to shutdown EVERYTHING, which sometimes is hard to do.

there are a few programs which will shutdown everything and run defrag for you (power defrag?)

you can also copy over winME defrag as it runs a lot quicker.

otherwise you can get apps nortons speed disk which can defrag while you use the pc.

last tip...ALL defragers run into problems with the virtual memory, you need to make the minimum size large enough so it won't change while its being defraged. (eg make minimum size 200meg or more)
    Tweak it till it breaks

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Tweak'e

I use internet connection while I am in Safe Mode...might just be an XP allowability though.

That way I can get updates and such while not running any suspect program that might not let me get updates...hey! I shouldda thought of this for that YL with the denial of updates thing....

Anyway....I am not sure if it's allowed in 98....maybe I'll just plead old-timer's disease now and let 'er ride.

YL = young lady, nothing bad!

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

with XP i think its "safe mode with networking"...98 dosn't have that. 9x just has plain old safe mode which disables most drivers (so modems or lan card etc don't work)
    Tweak it till it breaks

If you can get your hands on a copy of Windows ME, you can transplant ME's Defrag and scandisk into Windows 98.

This will give you a significant decrease in the time taken to defrag, and is mesmerising to watch

e.g
    http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/342.html

I probably have a copy of ME lying around somewhere, I can email them to ya if you want.

Edit: This site presumably has the defrag file.
    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html
    Last edited by bob_doe_nz; 22-05-2006 at 05:33 PM.
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Pedant and proud of it

Just use Safe Mode. You shouldn't be doing anything on the computer when you are defragmenting.

It's a maintenance procedure. You don't grab your car for a "quick trip" halfway through an oil change.