Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking Another question for the forum sparky types

Is there any LEGAL reason why a heated towel rail can not be wired on the same circuit as the hot water cylinder?

I figure that a towel rail that gets switched of at peak times is no big deal, but the cost and hassle involved in getting a new feed from the switchboard is a complete pain in the **** , so if there is no legal reasons not to hook directly onto the feed for the HWC, then thats what will be done in this case as the HWC is directly behind the ideal place for the towel rail.

Default Re: Another question for the forum sparky types

Hi personthingy. Legally? Don't know but the very thought of a bit of home wiring anywhere near the damp/moist bathroom makes me cringe.

Talking Re: Another question for the forum sparky types

Actually, i just realized... theres the small issue of no RCD on the HWC circuit.....

What about hooking an appliance of such low wattage on to the lighting circuit?

I too, would be worried about home wiring in a damp atmosphere. Don't know about legal reasons but common sense seems to indicate it's no on!! Pun intended!!

Firstly, are you planning on connecting the heater rail in series or in parallel. I'm worried about the current draw on the connection, switch and wiring. Reckon at the very least you will blow the fuse. The peak current when the water heater switches on will blow your lights out!!

Don't do it, get a good electrician in and do the job properly. Might cost you serious coin but it will save your house. Remember the next life you save - might be your own!!

BURNZEE

Quote Originally Posted by Burnzee

Firstly, are you planning on connecting the heater rail in series or in parallel. I'm worried about the current draw on the connection, switch and wiring. Reckon at the very least you will blow the fuse. The peak current when the water heater switches on will blow your lights out!!

BURNZEE
    I suspect you are not aware just how little a heated towel rail uses.... They vary, but seldom use anything more than 100watts

My immediate thought, given your question, is that if you have to ask questions like that then you shouldn't be playing aroung with that kinda stuff. And hope you don't have any other family living in the house if you do.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Yes, I'm well aware how much a heated towel rack draws. Ours takes about 60 watts. Now compare that with how much your HWC draws and you will understand my concern.

BURNZEE

Yes, I'm well aware how much a heated towel rack draws. Ours takes about 60 watts. Now compare that with how much your HWC draws and you will understand my concern.

BURNZEE
    So a circuit that has a 16 amp breaker, 2.5mm cable and running 3 K of HWC element (at a guess, in reality probably less) is hardly going to be overloaded by the extra 60 watts (0.25 amp) imposed on it by a towel rail.

Greg. The reason i ask is not because i don't understand what i am doing, but because i am concerned about a legal fine point, not a practical one. I can't count the places that were wired by me, over the last twenty years, have passed inspection, and are of course fine.
    Last time i read the regs, things like heatlamps, fans, and stuff like that were OK to wire on lighting circuits provided they were of very low power consumption. I don't specificly remember "towel rails" being mentioned, but they do seem to be in essence the same kind of thing. I just thought i'd ask to be sure. I'm beggining to think it was a bad idea to do so.

I'm worried about the current draw on the connection, switch and wiring. Reckon at the very least you will blow the fuse. The peak current when the water heater switches on will blow your lights out!!

BURNZEE
    err....noone suggested installing the hotwater hetter on the lighting ciruit.

its not advaisable to connect another appliance to the hotwater feed simply due to its high fuse rating. if there is a short, ie through you, the fuse won't blow very quickly.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e
    err....noone suggested installing the hotwater hetter on the lighting ciruit.

its not advaisable to connect another appliance to the hotwater feed simply due to its high fuse rating. if there is a short, ie through you, the fuse won't blow very quickly.
    The HWC has a 16a breaker, same as most of the plug circuits here, The lights are on 2 very underloaded 10amp circuits, that share RCD protection with most of the house.

There's also the issue that the switch for the HWC here is sensibly located behind the wood pile, so it turns out that the HWC circuit is often turned off at the switchboard instead to keep the bill down when the coalrange is going to be kept in use. thus it would be a particually bad source of power for anything else

So i assume that the lighting circuit would be the better local circuit to impose a towel rails enormous load upon, as it is RCD protected, and it is a lower rated breaker?
    Last edited by personthingy; 21-05-2006 at 08:47 PM.