Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keyboard vs mouse

Had a weird thing happen yesterday that has left me a little baffled.

Installed a sound card in an old P2 computer then when it was fired up to install the driver the PC announced that no mouse was attached. This was after booting 80% of the way to the Windows desktop, NOT before Windows had started loading.

Switched PC off (no other way to close it down), poked the mouse plug in a bit harder but same result.

Tried another mouse, and yet another one. Still same result.

Tried a serial mouse and this time the mouse worked but the keyboard didn't even though Windows fully booted.

Got the job done with the serial mouse, got speakers working fine then sent the PC back home. Owner reported that his mouse and keyboard worked as per normal so he's a happy chappy now able to listen to all the dreadful tunes in emails, etc.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why I couldn't use my usual mouse and keyboard with this system when I have in the past (18 months ago). I'm pretty sure I didn't need to use the serial mouse last time (would have taken a note of that) so has anyone got any ideas or is this just one of those mysterious computer quirks that happen from time to time?

Needless to say next time I'll be getting him to bring his own mouse and keyboard.

Default Re: Keyboard vs mouse

USB mouses don't play unless the BIOS has had the USB HID (Human Interface Device) support option set.

Quote Originally Posted by mack
    USB mouses don't play unless the BIOS has had the USB HID (Human Interface Device) support option set.
    My desktop Award CMOS setup has USB keyboard & mouse enabled, but I still need to use PS/2 keyboard & mouse if I boot into any DOS based program: e.g. the Ultimate Boot Disc.

Was this PC a proprietary brand which required special drivers? I struck a PC Company machine a while ago which the owner had been using without access to Function keys for several years!

It needed a proprietary keyboard driver.
    "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." ~ Harry Weinberger

Quote Originally Posted by mack
    Well, I don't see "USB" mentioned anywhere above. With a P2 PC, I would have assumed PS2 connected mouse and keyboard, so not sure what you are meaning.

I can only suggest it's an IRQ problem created by the soundcard that was not affecting the RS232 connected mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Well, I don't see "USB" mentioned anywhere above. With a P2 PC, I would have assumed PS2 connected mouse and keyboard, so not sure what you are meaning.

I can only suggest it's an IRQ problem created by the soundcard that was not affecting the RS232 connected mouse.
    but it wasn't the mouse & keyboard belonging to the pII that was used. Do you use a PS/2 mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX
    next time I'll be getting him to bring his own mouse and keyboard.

My keyboard and mouse are PS/2 types. As far as I remember the owner's are also PS/2.

Interesting theory about the IRQ settings Godfather. I did think of that but it puzzles me why the owner's mouse and keyboard work when mine didn't. I'm fairly sure his mouse isn't a serial mouse.

And when my serial mouse worked the keyboard wouldn't. When my PS/2 mouse wouldn't work the keyboard did. Very strange.

Correct my English!

I have nothing relevant to say in this thread except that it sounds like a malfunction see-saw to me, Foxy.

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

I blame it on the UFO activity. Cicero's mates probably, charging their flux capacitors from the PCI bus on the computer.

Certainly calls for an inquiry. Copy to the Czarina.
    "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." ~ Harry Weinberger

I had the same problem on my old box running XP... only solution from memory was to usb keyboard and ps2 mouse I think.
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock