Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cannot print to shared printer

Hi there.
    I have a printer connected to one PC and my son prints to it from another PC, been working for months. Today he tried to print and got an error message that the document failed to print. I've been through the troubleshooters and it seems the network is the problem.
    On the PC connected to the printer if I go My Network Places>Network Tasks>View Workgroup computers, I can see both PCs. If I do the same from the remote (wireless) PC I see no PCs and a popup box saying "Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently avaiable".
    The wireless connection is fine, and we don't think we've changed anything setting-wise since we last printed from the 2nd PC.
    I tried using the network set up wizard with no luck.
    I guess it will be a simple thing - any ideas?
    Both running XP Home.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: Cannot print to shared printer

You might find that the remote one can't ping your one either.

Try reinstalling its wireless adapter, anyway. From the Add/Remove software page of Control panel select it for removal. That will "probably" give you the option of repairing it, so you won't have to even look for a CD or floppy, and it will keep the settings Do that.

I have to do this often with a USB wireless adapter on one of my laptops. (And it's the one which has the good printer ).

Thanks for that. In the networking troubleshooter it said there was no ping. I right clicked the wireless icon in the toolbar and got an option to repair, which I did. Did its thing, then said it was all good. Looked in the Add/Remove programs and couldn't find anything that sounded wireless specific.Did have a reference to an eternet adapter?
    Went to print and got the same error message with the addition of "Network path could not be found".
    I disabled the wireless connection and plugged in an ethernet cable and I still can't print.
    Help!
    I have no problem accessing the internet.
    Last edited by Grimy; 14-05-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional info

I've gone into the command prompt and pinged the 2nd PCs (the one I can't print from) IP address and Gateway IP address - no problem.
    I then pinged the IP address of the computer connected to the printer and there was no response. Does that info help as to what I should try?
    Thanks,
    G.

Computer Tech

Have you recently installed any firewall software on the PC that has the printer attached?

No, I have Zone Alarm on both PCs, but have been able to print since then. I have both PCs in the trusted zone.
    I have been into the Network Connections on the PC connected to the printer and right clicked>Repair. The following box came up. Repair Local Area Connection Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:Renewing your IP address Foe assistance, contct the person who manages your network.
    I then went into it again and ran repair again and it said it completed successfully.
    However, I still can't see the network from the second PC or print.

Have u checked, to see if the printer in question is still shared under printers?

And if SP2 is installed is File and printer sharing ticked under the windows firewall / exceptions list?

Hi there.
    Yes, the printer is showing as shared, and I've unticked, then reticked it. Printer and file sharing is ticked under firewall on both PCs and I have tried turning off both firewalls too.
    When I go into command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1, the router and the IP of the PC I am testing on, it all comes back good. When I try pinging the other PC (from either one) it times out and fails.
    One thing. On the remote (wireless) PC when I go command prompt>ipconfig it comes up Media Disconnected which the troubleshooter said it shouldn't. When I plugged the ethernet cable into it, that message went, but still no printing.
    Should "Media Disconnected" come up on wireless? And if not, how do I change it?
    Graham.

Pedant and proud of it

My USB WiFi has a monitor programme which appears in Add/Remove Programmes. Yours might not. You should be able to get things fixed my going into the Hardware manager, and getting the Properties page for the WiFi device. The "Driver" tab of that will let you reinstall.

It does look as if the TCP/IP network stuff on machine client is not working. Ping shoudl work. F

Again, the Add/Remove page has a section for Microsoft stuff, which should let you uninstall and reinstall the Network stuff.

* i7 930 & Corsair H70 Hydro Cooling
    * Asus P6X58D Premium
    * 3 x 2GB DDR3-1600
    * 1X 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s + 1X SG 320 Sata 3 GB/s
    * Unknown SATA DVD/RW
    * Corsair 850W PSU
    * Asus 1GB EAH5850
    * Windows 7 64Bit
    * MS Security Essential