Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

Default Insurance...........

Ok new territory for me......

What do you look for or look out for when getting a new insurance company?

Do they look at your history? claims or what not?
    is there a person out there that does this for a living? broker? that finds you the best deal that fits with what you need? like when you get a morgage?

Is it better to go with a well known big company or the yellow pages type thing?

Who do you currently use and does this suit you ?

Im not sure we want to stay with existing company for various reasons..... no probs with them.....they have been good to us over the years...but a bit $$ but then i have no other examples to check it against they me be ok....

If others have changed......was it for the better you think?

comments please..... overall......

beetle
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

Default Re: Insurance...........

Hi Beetle
    Yes there are Insurance Brokers who can advise the same as Mortgage Brokers. They are listed in the yellow pages.
    You can go to the web sites for the major insurance companies ( State; Tower; AMI etc ) and get an "on line" quote for your own particular insurance needs.
    Last year I changed to State as I found them the cheapest for my own particular circumstances. Other than that I have not had any claims etc with State so cannot comment on their speed in dealing with such matters.
    When applying for insurance policies you usually have to list what claims you have had in the last 5 years I think it is.
    HTH
    Smithie

Reputation and response to claims.

AMI. Never hassle you. Always prompt and pay out quickly without stuffing you around.
    AVOID: Tower.

Ditto, for anyone who cares
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Quote Originally Posted by beetle

Ok new territory for me......

Do they look at your history? claims or what not?
    is there a person out there that does this for a living? broker? that finds you the best deal that fits with what you need? like when you get a morgage?

Is it better to go with a well known big company or the yellow pages type thing?

Im not sure we want to stay with existing company for various reasons..... no probs with them.....they have been good to us over the years...but a bit $$ but then i have no other examples to check it against they me be ok....

If others have changed......was it for the better you think?

comments please..... overall......

beetle
    I used to pick insurance companies by reading Consumer magazine. Check out their latest insurance company review/comparison.

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

AMI for me. Been with them for years and wouldn't change in a hurry. Excellent service.

Stay away from State. They just don't like to part with their money!

Can't comment on anyone else.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Tukapa
    AMI for me. Been with them for years and wouldn't change in a hurry. Excellent service.
    I agree with Tukapa - AMI is tops. Ring and get a quote, then compare, perhaps ring an Insurance Broker as well. Remember that if you get more than one policy, you get a better deal (car, house, home contents).

NZI, AMI & Vero (formally Royal Sun Alliance) are all good to deal with when you have a claim. State & Tower can be very nasty with claims. I was burgled some years ago and had to fight State for every cent and it should have been a straight forward claim. I transferred all my insurance to NZI after that, it's not worth the hassle just to save a few bucks in premiums per year.

I use an insurance broker......prior to that I founf my own deals & it was only when I struggled to get my performance car insurance sorted that I tried him, he managed to get the best pricing I had ever had. Although I have never had to make a claim since going through him I can say it is really handy not having to actually deal with the insurance company myself (ended up going throuh state via him). IF I ever need to make a change, amendment, or get something added etc I just flick him an e-mail & within a day or two I get a letter fromm state saying it has been amended etc. I had 3 cars & contents via him, now 2 cars & contents........you usally get a better deal with a "package" of car & home etc.

PM me if you want me to give you his contact details

Cheers
    KiwiMR2

Oh and yeah.....I have heard some nasty stories about State & used to avoid them but with a broker I have found I don't have to deal with them and they seem to have no issues sorting things on your behalf & tend to get exactly what is required a hell of a lot quicker than the average joe

KiwiMR2