Thumbs down Wifi. Making an access Point so I can use my PSP online, How? What do I need?

Firstly, thankyou for reading this thread.
    I would like to make it clear I have no idea as to what I am doing.
    I have a PSP, and I was wondering, can I use a Wifi adapter thing to set up an Infrastructure point? I have a usb-wifi adapter thing as seen here:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH8344

Does any1 knw how to set up a Wireless LAN using the inbuilt XP Wireless set up thingee, such as assigning an SSID thing. (Kinda like an IP innit?)

Thankyou for all of your help,
    kind regards,
    Cornot.

Default Re: Wifi. Making an access Point so I can use my PSP online, How? What do I need?

If u have XP SP2, you can use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

Or if the USB WLAN comes with software use that (this one looks like it comes with some kind of software).

Altho, I cant see anything, in the link u gave, saying that this USB WLAN can also be used as an access point.

BUT some USB WLANS can also be configured as AP's. With its drivers (which can also act as firmware).

I think with the PSP, you have to go to the networking part of it and then configure it somewhere. (I havent got one myself to tell you).

If I knew what settings a PSP had, it'd be easier to figure it out.

Ah, this site may help. If u have broadband.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 12-05-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Computer Tech

Default Re: Wifi. Making an access Point so I can use my PSP online, How? What do I need?

I have a USB wireless adaptor on my PC and it can't be used as an Access Point.
    I have never been able to get the PSP to connect to it using Ad-Hoc mode as I think the PSP can only use Ad-Hoc mode when talking to another PSP.
    I do however have an access point as well and all I did on the PSP was set up an Infrastructure network using the settings from the access point like SSID (network name) etc and it connected and I can browse the net no worries from the PSP.

If u have XP SP2, you can use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

Or if the USB WLAN comes with software use that (this one looks like it comes with some kind of software).

Altho, I cant see anything, in the link u gave, saying that this USB WLAN can also be used as an access point.

BUT some USB WLANS can also be configured as AP's. With its drivers (which can also act as firmware).

I think with the PSP, you have to go to the networking part of it and then configure it somewhere. (I havent got one myself to tell you).

If I knew what settings a PSP had, it'd be easier to figure it out.

Ah, this site may help. If u have broadband.
    The PSP has Ad-Hoc mode and Infrastructure mode.

The PSP Can either Scan for an SSID of an access point or you can enter one manually.

Gonzales, would you know how to set it up using the Wireless network setup. I have SP2, and the installer says that since I have XP SP2 I just need to use the network setup wizard.

P.S. Sorry, I have no broadband. Only Dial-up :-(

I have a USB wireless adaptor on my PC and it can't be used as an Access Point.
    I have never been able to get the PSP to connect to it using Ad-Hoc mode as I think the PSP can only use Ad-Hoc mode when talking to another PSP.
    I do however have an access point as well and all I did on the PSP was set up an Infrastructure network using the settings from the access point like SSID (network name) etc and it connected and I can browse the net no worries from the PSP.
    Did you use the Setup network thing on the PSP? I just got my wifi adapter 2day.

Just go thru the setup wizard. Follow what it says.

I don't use the SP2 one, since the USB WLANS I brought, come with their own software, which also lets u use them as an AP, or station.

In infrastructure or ad-hoc mode.

I don't have BB either.

The site I gave, maybe similar to BB anyway.

I get up to Step 7: And it won't detect the network.
    I click repair, and it says that it couldnt connect to the wireless network.

It must be a receiver only or something?

EDIT:

What are you using? Mines still under return warranty

I'm using 2 of these

I see from the latest version of the drivers, that they also support PSP xlink mode, and WMM QOS Mode, or something.

Something to do with Multimedia I think.

Got these from a shop in Mt Eden Road.

Ohk nice.
    Mayb I should return my 1 and go look for one with an Access Point option.
    Easier thn messing round wit mine.

I'll try from scratch and reinstall, if not. Then I will jst return this.

I'll be looking out for one with an Access Point option? Anything else?

Yup, I think so.

You can still get an access point, (which can be USB or hardware based), like one of these which is pretty cheap. BUT looks like it does a good job, for the price.

But it'll cost u extra. With the link I posted, the USB WLAN can also be configured to act as an AP.

Ohk.
    Hey thnx for helping Gonzales