Default Installing a Bootable Hard drive

My friends pc died - the motherboard actually gave up the ghost - anyway, I've been able to access the old hdd by inserting it as a slave on another pc. I've copied most of the important data onto cds in case it get's lost.
    Now I'd like to replace the hdd on this pc with the old one from my friend's pc and then I'll give her the new machine. But I'm having trouble getting the new pc to boot up with the old hdd installed.
    I've set the old hdd back to MASTER and have removed the other hdd altogether - so there's only the one hdd connected. I'd rather not fdisk/format her old drive as she doesn't have any XP O/S discs. I've tried bios adjustments, starting from a boot floppy and I've installed BOOTITNG - but it won't quite boot up.
    It puts up a screen asking various options like; Safe Mode Boot, Safe Mode Prompt Boot, Normal Start or Last Good Start Settings - but I've tried them all and no success - it just re-boots again.
    I have got my own XP discs - both Full & Upgrade. Could I use one of these to boot and then swap the pc back onto it's own system part way through?

man with the master plan jamesyboi's Avatar

Default Re: Installing a Bootable Hard drive

howd u get the hdd to work as slave... doesn't work for me

the reason it wont boot is that you are tyring to run the system with the setup which is on yoru friends hdd.......it's trying to load drivers etc which are NOT for your pc and so it cant......you need to start your pc wiht that drive in and also your xp cd.......set the sysetm to boot from cd then go thru the process as if you are installing xp at one point it'll give you the option of 'repairing' the xp installation do that.................DONT get fooled and clik 'r' to repair the installation, (useing recovery console), clik ENTER instead to 'install xp' ......its AFTER that that you get the 'repair install' option.......
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

you'll also need yoru product key handy and after you've done the 'repair' install you'll most likely have to install your motherboard drivers again...
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)