Default Hi all from a new member and ive also got a question to ask

Im wanting to know does anyone have a problem using ihugs accelerator program?
    A good friend of mine uses ihug & the accelerator...i dont like the program myself i tried it once and had a lot of problems with it timing out webpages.
    I use xtra broadband now but i recently took my modem up to his place and connected it to his pc. I connected using my xtra log in and connected at a normal healthy speed of over 40. I then logged into his ihug and connected at the same great speed. He has had months of being unable to view webpages, download mail etc as connects only at speeds of 14 - 21.
    We came to the conclusion after my modem ran fine that his modem was the problem so he pulled mine out of my computer and replaced it into his and hey presto he finally got speeds of over 40 using his ihug connection.
    Since returning home hes still complaining that hes gone back to timing out & slow webpages even tho hes still connected at over 40. I really believe its his accelerator but cant seem to convince him - im just the dumb blonde chick!
    This morning i tested his modem (which is now sitting in my pc) as i have to use dial up for 3 weeks as im shifting to a new house and its going to take xtra that long to get my broadband back in place and i connected using his modem at 40. Can anyone give me any suggestions or perhaps back me up that ihug accelerator really could be the problem! lol.
    Or am i really barking up the wrong tree here?
    Cheers Dee

Default Re: Hi all from a new member and ive also got a question to ask

Quote Originally Posted by BlonDEElicious
    A good friend of mine uses ihug & the accelerator

i recently took my modem up to his place and connected it to his pc. I connected using my xtra log in and connected at a normal healthy speed of over 40.

I then logged into his ihug and connected at the same great speed.

We came to the conclusion after my modem ran fine that his modem was the problem so he pulled mine out of my computer and replaced it into his
    Since returning home hes still complaining that hes gone back to timing out & slow webpages even tho hes still connected at over 40.

This morning i tested his modem and i connected using his modem at 40.
    What it connects at doesn't really mean anything. It may connect at a good speed and then drop later.
    I'd make sure he has no viruses or spyware first of all, and then when you're sure his PC is clean if he still gets the problem, uninstall the accelerator and see what happens.
    That will prove it one way or the other.

Why does he not turn off the accelerator program to confirm if it is causing the problem with slow websites. As he is now getting good connection speeds with your modem it is more likely to be spyware or such like.

Try a different web browser or clean out the cache and Temp files if using IE
    Post a hijackthis log or run Spybot

I used to use Accelerator, but got rid of it / disabled it.

Running Firefox, with adblock and/or flashblock will speed things up.

Since this is what most of the crap is on sites.

Or Opera is fast enough for me.

And better than running IE.

I dont think accelerator is the prob. When I had it, it wasnt that slow.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek
    What it connects at doesn't really mean anything. It may connect at a good speed and then drop later.
    I'd make sure he has no viruses or spyware first of all, and then when you're sure his PC is clean if he still gets the problem, uninstall the accelerator and see what happens.
    That will prove it one way or the other.
    Many thanks for the replies, am just reading thru them now. Had to have a chuckle at what you suggested as i keep saying to him i dont have faith in that accelerator, why cant you just disable it or uninstall it and see, at the risk of getting my ears clipped, because hes a male im a female, doesnt that say it all and his male ego wont let me win. Hence the reason i decided to go surfin for him to try and find some answers and something solid to pass onto him in the way of help. I guess its kinda "secret backup" for me to arm myself with when i growl some more and say damn you just give this a go will u and stop being so bloody stubborn!.
    So i shall pack all these little goodies up and hand them to him this arvo and with any luck he will get somewhere a little faster.
    He uses Spybot and adaware and also nortons, and im pretty sure from going thru his pc that he reguarly cleans out temp files and cache etc, and also uses Mozilla for most surfing. Think the major probs are in winmx where he keeps timing out and yahoo mail in particular, downloading attachements at speeds of no more then 0.5per second, its crazy and got me beat.
    Thanks again all
    much appreciated

Get the file in my sig below. We'll soon find out if there's anything nasty on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
    Get the file in my sig below. We'll soon find out if there's anything nasty on it.
    Thanks Speedy. Ive passed the link for this thread onto him.
    Will let you know how he gets on