Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

Default wireless networking notworking

well, it is working, with "very good" signal and a 54mbit connection, but sometimes, at random, my pc disconnects from the network and i have to repair the connection. sometimes is hangs and i have to reset. this can be VERY FRUSTRATING whilst gaming online

i'm using a Gigabyte 802.11g PCI WLAN Card, and a Dlink DSL-G604T wireless adsl router, and windows xp pro sp2. i doubt my ecs motherboard has anything to do with it

Default Re: wireless networking notworking

There isn't using a microwave or cordless phone being used when it disconnects ??

Try updating your wlan card drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    There isn't using a microwave or cordless phone being used when it disconnects ??
    i had considered the phone and after experimenting i reckon it's not that.

i havent considered the mircowave oven, however, i dont think it was being used.

i'm beginning to think it's occurance is determined my murphy's law, or some sort of annoyance/criticality sensor

i dont have any viruses, spyware etc
    Last edited by motorbyclist; 17-04-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: said same thing twice

Lightbulb Re: wireless networking notworking

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    Try updating your wlan card drivers.
    they're a few months old, but i'll go hunting when it "motivates" me
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

Devo

You might want to download the usefull program NetStumbler and see if the red line at the bottom (indicating interference) peaks at any time and see if it corresponds to anything that might activate at that time on your frequency

Quote Originally Posted by kwaka
    You might want to download the usefull program NetStumbler and see if the red line at the bottom (indicating interference) peaks at any time and see if it corresponds to anything that might activate at that time on your frequency
    i dloaded, installed and ran it, and my connection immediatly dropped from 54mbps to 1mbps. i clicked untill i found a graph and it had a short purple thing, it spiked tall after a while into green, but that was only a pixel long... what does this mean?

i have since uninstalled due to my connection slowing while i run it (but kept installer)

it did it (disconnected) twice tonight, and everyone should be in bed, not cooking or calling. the cellphone coverage is VERY poor out here too, so that shouldnt be it...
    Last edited by motorbyclist; 18-04-2006 at 12:50 AM. Reason: and one more thing...
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

And how far is the router away from the PCI WLAN card??

Does the PCI card have an aerial?

Does the router have an aerial?

Did the card come with software, or did u use SP2's wireless networking wizard?
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 18-04-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist
    it did it (disconnected) twice tonight, and everyone should be in bed, not cooking or calling. the cellphone coverage is VERY poor out here too, so that shouldnt be it...
    Do you leave your cellphone(s) on all the time? While switched on they will "call home" to the nearest cellsite at regular intervals even when not in use, and in a poor reception area they will be transmitting at a relatively high power level. That could be a possible cause.

Personally speaking I prefer to rely on wired links & networks, I have spent too many years working with RF and RF reception issues to ever trust a low powered Ghz connection for anything important, unless using directional antennas for a point to point link.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

It COULD be another wireless network on the same channel in your immediate area. Netstumbler will tell you if there are any other in the vicinity. You could try changing channels to 1,6 or 11 and see if that makes any difference.

I read an article in a pc magazine on some tests they did on wireless networks. They had some unexplained disconnections which stumped them. They did the tests again a few days later and everything was fine. Turned out around the time of the first tests, there was alot of general RF interference.

My wireless network is pretty reliable but every now and again it disconnects. Why... I don't know. Its one of those things which happens with wireless.
    No cloud is perfect...