Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How can I re install a now fallen over server that used to take "thatgame "chess?

Hi,
    When I tried to send my copy which is on a f/d to a mate on their new pooter,they could not get it to install.
    "Thatgame" server has fallen over - finally, this time and by a fluke I had 4 previously started games stored , which those of us who still have that program can use- though we have to accept the initial moves that are there - the "first moves on a new game" used to have to go to "thatgame" server before, from then on, not having to.
    I can only assume there are hidden lost files in my pooter that do not transfer to a f/d which could then be installed by my mate.
    Can I get at those files ?-- and copy an "initial install"

effie c

Default Re: How can I re install a now fallen over server that used to take "thatgame "chess?

You cannot transfer games from one pc to another simply by copying the folder that contains the program. This is because when you installed the game, it also installs files into the Windows directory along with registry entries.

Edit - terrible grammer
    Last edited by SolMiester; 27-03-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

Default Re: How can I re install a now fallen over server that used to take "thatgame "chess?

I'd like to help, but I can barely understand your post.

Is the game's installer on a floppy disk?

Are you attemping to copy a game without using the game's supplied installer?

Hi,
    Thatgamechess was a neat visual type of chess which was able to be downloaded- free, off the net,for several years it would work O K but near the end the contact said that the server wanted money spent on it and he did not have any--it finaly crashed- and died.
    Some of us were able to use the "saved" - prestarted games from "my Documents" and continue.- they are still in existance and as I still have it in my pooter, am still able to play chess
    The first move of any new game required it to go through "thatgame" server, and after that there was no need to.
    All I tried to do was copy everything to a f/d ( only 437 bytes ) but when the receiving - new pooter, got it, could not install it- my question is where do I look for those missing files and copy them too - or is that impossible
    effie c

HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

I have a copy of the original file for "thatgame chess" (chess.exe) in my archives here (208 kB).
    If someone PM's me an email address, I will send it to them.

The top one is the game, but the download link now goes to a site that has not got the game (for reasons already given by effie c)

Bottom one has dead links for the same reason.

Hi Godfather,
    that 209 mb reminds me that that in fact was the size - not the ones I quoted - I think !!!
    Would that include the hidden files I am talking about- my copy on a f/d is still with the new computer owner- after their unsuccessful install attempt
    I had tried it here - using the f/d and it worked---but apparently only by locating the hidden files in my computer
    If I am wrong yes I would love to give you my address and regain the install ability
    effie c

Here it is in ZIP format.

Unzip it to extract chess.exe.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/chess.zip

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    The top one is the game, but the download link now goes to a site that has not got the game (for reasons already given by effie c)

Bottom one has dead links for the same reason.
    TRUE!!!!, how embarrassing....