Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP Hell

Default FTP Hell

Ok - I'm the IT guy at my clinic, I have set up the servers, I have fixed problems that would make any computer guru rip his hair out(seriously, I'm going grey) I have ran ALL around the building countless times to fix a phantom error that is magically gone when I get there(IT Pros love that one) I have done countless other things that involve very little brain activity. (Except for the few 3 days to fix a problem that is fixed by clicking 1 checkbox [who knew Symantec(Veritas) backup exec Remote agent wouldn't backup using netBIOS Shared folder protocol...more grey hairs]) but this problem I am having on MY OWN PC...I'm looking for the damned checkbox...someone help me find it...I already have the hammer ( ) I have set up an FTP Site, plus we have a free FTP site with our T1 line...neither of which I can get to....on my pc...anywhere else, I got it - no problem...not on mine. If you have read any of my previous posts, you'll find I don't like microsoft, but at the office, I'm stuck with what they give me [thank god I also do video/photo editing - they bought me a Dual Core PowerMac G5 (dr00l)] I have gone so far as to allow firewall exceptions for FTP (ports 20 and 21), I went into Windows/system32/drivers/etc/services.file and checked the entries - FTP - Data is 20 and FTP - Control is 21...thats right...I don't know of anywhere else I can have a firewall blocking this, we are using Symantec Antivirus Corperate Edition v10.0.2, administered by me, and on the main server - client workstations can't access settings...they can just sit there and look at the pretty golden shield in their task bar...as I said, it is all set from a central server location, so if that is the problem, it wouldn't just be my PC...anyone got any bright ideas? Please help, I'm tired of PC-Anywhere-ing into my FTP server just to post stuff...

Default Re: FTP Hell

*bumpage*

I seriously don't mean to offend, but chances are you'll likely get more people to actually read it if you paraphrase the query and cut out all the waffle.

Sorry I can't advise on the actual problem.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

So what OS are you using on your home computer?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

With all respect, etc... I must agree with Greg. I gave up half way through the post.

What FTP software are you using on the server & the ftp client on the other computer?

Have you got any firewall blocking it?

Sounds like it's just your computer, so what's different about your computer to the others?

I would try using PASV mode on the FTP Client.

Cheers,

KK

Ok, the basic (without all the hoo ha)

My computer, running Windows XP can't connect to ANY ftp sites, I did try turning on PASV, that didn't help, I checked the Window's XP Firewall, and allowed ports 20 and 21, and I checked the service data file, and port 20 is set for FTP Control, and 21 is for FTP Data. I can get to the office's FTP site with anyone elses computer, except mine, and no offense Kame, but obviously something is different about my computer as with everyone else running XP in my office. I just can't figure out what that could be.

Any error code?
    What client are you using?
    Have you tried Explorer?
    Password/username correct?
    Response type?
    Switch off all firewalls and antivirus at boot.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Any error code?
    Just a 550 Error (Access denied), though I log in with the same credentials on the other computers i've troubleshot with

What client are you using?
    I tried a few other FTP clients when Explorer stopped working - same deal with all of 'em i've tried

Have you tried Explorer?
    see previous answer

Password/username correct?
    Yes, I am the network admin for my office, I made that FTP site, and use that login/password numerous times throughout the day. Plus, as I said before, it works on the other workstations I try on.

Response type?
    Just the 550 Error

Switch off all firewalls and antivirus at boot.
    Antivirus is centrally Administered on the main server in the office, IF that was the problem, then none of the other computers would be connected. As for window's firewall - With Small Business Server 2003, I can't turn it off on the local computer, I know there is a way to allow users to turn it off, and i've found it once, but I was in the middle of a bigger problem to 'check the box' Firewall could be the problem, but with the windows exceptions, I allowed ports 20 and 21, even in C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/services (opened with notepad) it showed the ftp channeled correctly.