Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Diesel Car - Yes or no?

I'm looking at buying a new car... are diesel cars worth looking at? Well its more a small SUV I suppose you'd call it these days? Would it be worth buying a diesel 4x4, or should I stick at looking at petrol cars? What would be the pros and cons?

Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: Diesel Car - Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I'm looking at buying a new car... are diesel cars worth looking at? Well its more a small SUV I suppose you'd call it these days? Would it be worth buying a diesel 4x4, or should I stick at looking at petrol cars? What would be the pros and cons?

Mike.
    The most obvious "pro" people cite with diesel is the "cheaper" fuel. But that's often not taking into account Road User Charges. It also pays with a diesel car (or SUV) to have it thoroughly checked out by a competent mechanic, as NZ has over the last two years migrated to low sulphur diesel, and older vehicles may have problems with fuel pump seals, I think. This can be easily fixed, but it's a good idea to have it checked before purchasing.

You dont mention what you are looking at;

Toyota+Diesel=yes/good
    Mitsubishi+Diesel=no/bad
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99
    You dont mention what you are looking at;

Toyota+Diesel=yes/good
    Mitsubishi+Diesel=no/bad
    I was trying not to give too many details so I'd get a more general response But probably I'd do better to give all the details...

Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4l turbo diesel
    very good service history (apparently)

What other details?

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike; 16-03-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Isn't the government looking at taxing engines of a certain size or whatever (aimed at the increasing amount of SUVs on the road)? Or is this petrol engined only?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Or should I rather look at a station wagon of similar engine size (maybe slightly smaller) of either petrol or diesel? Basically we were looking for a station wagon for the growing family, but have come across this one and didn't know whether it would be worth it in the long run?

Mike.

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

Or should I rather look at a station wagon of similar engine size (maybe slightly smaller) of either petrol or diesel? Basically we were looking for a station wagon for the growing family, but have come across this one and didn't know whether it would be worth it in the long run?

Mike.
    I have always been of the understanding that although diesel is cheaper at the pump, the engines are more "stressed" than a petrol engine and therefore require more expensive maintenance. The new diesel's coming out are much better than older diesels. If I was you, I would look in Consumer (or similar publication) for an article on the is subject.
    My neighbour has a 1994 Toyota Surf X with the 3 litre non turbo which he has owned for a few years. I'm not aware that he has had any problems with it other than the shocks need some attention (replaced?) and he had a radiator leak but it was a minor problem.

Good luck, buying a new vehicle can be a bit of a lottery at the best of times.
    No cloud is perfect...

Grumpy Member

I was trying not to give too many details so I'd get a more general response But probably I'd do better to give all the details...

What other details?

Mike.
    Be very very afraid of older diesels especially turbos as any required repairs and maintenance can make a very large hole in your wallet.

Mixed Member

What other details?

Mike.
    I'm biased because I have a Toyota Prado turbo diesel. However Toyota have a very good reputation.

As I understand it, the economics of a diesel vehicle require you to drive about 30-40,000km/year to get the full benefits. This is a 15yr old vehicle so the chances of something failing are much higher than a newer machine. I'd guess that the recent fuel seal problems will apply too.

Diesel vehicles are expensive to repair if there are engine problems.

So my personal view is that you'd be safer with a petrol vehicle unless the price of this truck makes it worth the moderate risk. Whatever you do, get it checked out by an independant mechanic or the AA.

You'd want to be sure there was no rust too. Doesn't take much to fail a warrant and be off the road.

The Surf is a good choice for a growing family, seats 5 and has the biggest load space behind the rear seats, about double what you get from Nissan.

I had a 2.4T averaged 550Km on a tank 50-55L, now my 3LT is a heng of a lot faster but only gets 450Km on a long run, same sized tank.

The only thing to look for in that with that age is overhead cam.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.