Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    I have just purchased a Palm M500 off Trademe. It works fine and I have worked through installing the software on my computer to link it with Outlook.

    When I hit the hot sync button on the cradle it connects with the PC but won't go right through. It stops and says some programme on the computer might have to be started? The message is going through to the PC as the Hotsync message comes up on the screen before clapping out.

  2. #2
    Moderator Jen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    Does it give the name of the programme that hasn't started?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    Have you got Palm Desktop installed and started?

    Is the problem with Hotsync Manager - that is installed when you install Palm Desktop, and the default is for it to start up with your computer. If that isn't happening, see if you can start Hotsync Manager from the Palm Desktop folder in your Start menu.

    There needs to be a conduit installed to synchronise with Outlook. From memory that may not be installed with Palm Desktop - it is another application that may be on the disk that came with the M500.

    I am using PalmOS with a Treo600 at present and it some years since I had a straight Palm PDA so I can't recall what actually happens with the software install in terms of conduits. From memory I had to use a third party app, and in my case the one I used was called ExpressSync. The Treo Palm software includes the sync conduit for Outlook.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    Does it give the name of the programme that hasn't started?
    No it doesn't unfortunately

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    Quote Originally Posted by John H
    Have you got Palm Desktop installed and started?

    Is the problem with Hotsync Manager - that is installed when you install Palm Desktop, and the default is for it to start up with your computer. If that isn't happening, see if you can start Hotsync Manager from the Palm Desktop folder in your Start menu.

    There needs to be a conduit installed to synchronise with Outlook. From memory that may not be installed with Palm Desktop - it is another application that may be on the disk that came with the M500.

    I am using PalmOS with a Treo600 at present and it some years since I had a straight Palm PDA so I can't recall what actually happens with the software install in terms of conduits. From memory I had to use a third party app, and in my case the one I used was called ExpressSync. The Treo Palm software includes the sync conduit for Outlook.
    Thanks for that. I am not using the palm desktop software although it is loaded. The software gives you the option of connecting to Outlook which is what I am trying to do. With regard to the additional software you are talking about I see Chapura has appeared on my Desktop. I am really really close but not quite there. It is interesting that the Hotsync manager on my desktop puts the Local section as Com 3. When you bring up setup it says " ther selected Com port 3 is not available at this time, Hot sync Manager will open the port when it becomes available"

  6. #6

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    Quote Originally Posted by rodger kallu
    Thanks for that. I am not using the palm desktop software although it is loaded. The software gives you the option of connecting to Outlook which is what I am trying to do. With regard to the additional software you are talking about I see Chapura has appeared on my Desktop. I am really really close but not quite there. It is interesting that the Hotsync manager on my desktop puts the Local section as Com 3. When you bring up setup it says " ther selected Com port 3 is not available at this time, Hot sync Manager will open the port when it becomes available"
    Chapura is the company for Pocket Mirror I think, which gives you the email sync conduit AFIK.

    How is your cradle connected to your PC? In my case it is via USB. If yours is set up that way, you need to select that in Hotsync Manager. Right click on the Hotsync icon in your system tray (is that what you call it?) and select Local USB. That may be the only problem. Incidentally, with mine working through USB, the Local setting (under Settings) shows COM1.

    Using Hotsync Manager (same place) you can determine how the sync will behave - right click, select Custom, and then choose what you want to happen. Be careful with this - for example, if you want to make sure that when you are synchronising contacts, with your primary contact book being Outlook, you need to make sure it overrides the empty contact book in your Palm, not the other way round! You can lose all the contacts in Outlook if you don't have it set up right the first time.

  7. #7
    Long time RTS Gamer
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: Local Hot sync Palm M500 with PC using cradle

    I purchased DocstoGo from DataViz. It is very good with Outlook 2003 and other Office 2003 applications.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
  2. M500 battery replacement
    By rodger kallu in forum PressF1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-02-2006, 09:03 AM
  3. Sync Palm with Lotus Notes
    By Spout in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-01-2003, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •