Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Padawan

Question How should I clean the inside of my pc?

Hi all
    Just wondering how do you all clean the annoying dust from inside your cases?
    I have a friend that uses a vacuum cleaner on blow but I donít have one with that attachment so what should I use?
    Would compressed air (the type you buy in a can) be too strong?
    Would a small 12v air compressor be ok?
    Should I be blowing in the case at all?
    Is there some tried and true method that you have all discovered?

How should I clean fans?
    What about dust clogged heat sinks?

And while I am on the topic:
    What sort (if any) of air filters do you use on your intake fans?

Many thanks
    Meg

Default Re: How should I clean the inside of my pc?

Quote Originally Posted by meg_h_nz
    Hi all
    Just wondering how do you all clean the annoying dust from inside your cases?
    I say every 2 - 3 years should be ok imo (I think it was two years before dad clean mine just after xmas)

What sort (if any) of air filters do you use on your intake fans?
    We donít use any I donít think....

I Hope this helps

Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204
    I say every 2 - 3 years should be ok imo (I think it was two years before dad clean mine just after xmas)
    What method did he use to clean it?

If you use a vaccuum cleaner, either on blow or suck, beware of getting it too close to the circuit boards or the fans.

A soft artist's brush is good to gently dislodge dust, while keeping the vaccuum nozzle a decent bit away from the components. Use something to hold fans still while cleaning else they prematurely wear out the bearings.

The reason for caution is that the air motion can create excessive difference in the components static charge, which can damage them.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Padawan

Thanks for the info.
    I was told never to use suck as you could accidentally suck up a loose component with out realising.
    I will have a search for an artistís brush and use that on the fans. Thanks for the tip on keeping the fans still while cleaning.

Have a great day
    Meg

n00b

Cool Re: How should I clean the inside of my pc?

First off it should be noted that a little dust is not really bad for a pc. Except of course the fans, which as stated, will cease if not kept clean.

But cleaning of dust in the general mother board and expansion card vacinity, should be done carefully. If you understand the way static electricity is created, don't use anything that can be discharged on the components (remeber you don't physically have to be touching a component for the static to discharge, it can discharge with a gap between your tool and the component)

There are small Pc vacuums available for just this task. They are battery operated, extremely low static devices with which you can suck at your hearts content. So look around for one, they last quite long.

MaXx

The best way is to plug it in so its earthed. Switch it off at the wall if that makes you nervous.

Use a small house paintbrush.

Vacuum up the fluff and stuff off the floor later - not vacuum the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204
    That may have been fine for PCs four or five years ago but since then the more powerful fans used these days tend to suck in far more dust than they used to so it is surprising just how dirty some of them get in a very short time.

A few months ago I went to install more RAM in a two-year old PC and couldn't believe how dirty it was under the hood. It was the filthiest machine I had ever seen in my life and I was surprised it was still working fine. Needless to say it was spick and span by the time I had finished with it.

My PCs get cleaned at least every six to nine months depending on when I get the lid off.

Meg, a small 12v air compressor would be fine, a few PC shops I know use them. Just make sure you hold the nozzle a good foot or two away from the parts, keep the nozzle moving so as not to blast too hard in one spot and don't let the fans spin around too much. Give them a quick blow then hold the fan with a pencil or something while you blow the rest of the dust out. Do that first as under the fans are the dustiest parts, particularly the PSU.

You will want to do the job outside, of course, unless you are a glutton for punishment when it comes to cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX
    That may have been fine for PCs four or five years ago but since then the more powerful fans used these days tend to suck in far more dust than they used to so it is surprising just how dirty some of them get in a very short time.
    Ok, that show how old my gear is (But my motherboard/ CPU/ is only 2 Ė 3 years old)

I generally use a small teeny weeny square cloth soaked in isopropyll alcohol to wipe the case inside and out. I also use a small paint brush which is also dipped in isopropyll alcohol to brush hard to reach places.

Personally I find heatsinks and fans to be the worst offenders for collecting dust.
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.