Nice weather for a barbeque - in your computer

Its summer people, and a warm one.

In summer the weather is hotter, so your computer is much hotter inside. Pretty simple, but the air just doesn't remove quite as much thermal energy from your computer when its warm.

So if you have a cramped case that gets quite hot, then you may get some more crashes than usual.

When a computer runs hotter, there are more errors generated and it can't handle the amount and just - freezes. Interesting thing to do when its baking hot.

Your processor core (not the silicon casing) can handle temperatures of up to 80 degrees Celsius. However, there is a lot of variation between what the case is like to what the core is like.

For example, my case what about 40 - 50 degrees C on the outside. When I took that off I almost burnt myself on a part of the structure inside. That was behind the processor on the motherboard,
and if its running that hot, just imagine what the core is like.

So, there are a few things you can do.

You can hunt down a copy of the Intel CPU Fan monitoring utility, or you can cool your computer down.

More fans, or even take the case off. You don't need that desk fan pointing at you! Take the case off and point it inside.

My case is sitting open right now, and so far - its survived 10 minutes without a crash. Quite an achievment for Microsoft! Bravo!

<HR>
This document was written by Stephen Cope and is copyrighted to him.

(C)? Copyright Stephen Cope 1998
Reproduction only with author's express written permission - kimihia@cheerful.com