Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scanning slides and photo negatives

Sometime in the not-too-distant future when my current ink has run out I will be looking at buying a new printer. The one I have my eye on is a Canon MP760 multi-function printer which several people here have mentioned.

This particular model is geared up for scanning slides and negatives so what I would like to know is how good is it at doing so? The outlaws have boxes of slides that no one gets to see except at the rare blue moon occasions so I would like to get them scanned and onto CDs or DVDs to view on the PC and DVD players.

I also have a big stack of photo albums and was thinking it would be easier and hopefully get better quality scans from the negatives rather from the photos themselves, many of which are faded and are of a ghastly colour. Once again I will be mainly viewing them onscreen but will probably also wish to print a few off so quality is important.

If the results from scanning slides and negatives are not better than acceptable I will be looking at a different printer/scanner so people's experiences on that model or any other would be appreciated.

Default Re: Scanning slides and photo negatives

Like you I've been thinking of doing this Foxy. But have been put off because mostly the results from reasonably priced scanners are poor for slides & negs. Also very slow, especially if only one neg or slide is scanned at a time.

However this Canon MP760 looks good from what I've seen on Steves-digicams review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...non_mp760.html

Would be interested like you, to have opinions from owners of the MP760.

Re Member

Well, I had my eye on one for a while. After using an HP 930c and the cost of replacing it's cartridge ( but it does do good prints) it's nice to have a printer that has separate tanks.Bought a cheap Brother with this new pc and we weren't very happy with that, but the boy is!!
    So when the price dropped $100.00 I bought this MP760 from Dick Smith's.Cartridges (colour) cost $20 ea, big black about $25 unless you get a refill which I will do for work, but intend to buy the genuine colour ones as we're delighted with the prints.
    I've scanned all my newly discover slides and my grandfather's that he left to me. A lot of them are faded and mouldy, and of course I have no idea who some of the people are, but you never know when some one might say "oh I know them" !I haven't tried altering the colours using the 760, prefer to do it all with Elements 4 or Paintshop X, and it's amazing how those old slides improve just using the auto fix options.
    I use the back paper feed option for those thick photo papers,( they don't bend as much that way) which is a bit of a pain as the unit is above the monitor, so I have to stand on a chair!! But I can't blame the 760 for that!
    I love being able to copy something without having to fire up the pc.
    I haven't tried the copy to both sides yet.
    Also it doesn't have a slot for the Fuji camera's card( XD-card I think) and an adaptor was going to cost over $100, so just use the USB cord.
    Any thing else just ask. Oh yes, just printed on some Verbatim cd's, love that too! Better for your near and dear ones than my attempt to scrawl with a marker pen.

Peripatetic member

I'm glad Neil has provided you with such a good reply, Foxy.
    I think it'll be a while before I've got things tested as comprehensively - and I'm still not set up yet.
    And thanks to Bazza for the review link. Looks like a good addition to the manual.

But my main reason for this is a warning that you may need to decide soon.
    It's a Reduced To Clear/Personal shoppers only at Dick Smith ($398 down from $448)
    I got the Cumberland Street store's last one yesterday & I see they've gone from the website list of those with stock.
    (Your Manchester St & Papanui still there)

A 2005 review I found earlier on Good Gear Guide said it was no longer available from the manufacturer, so there'll be a newer - and more expensive? - model, I guess.

I'm really looking forward to the old pix copying side of things, and hoping to rediscover slides dating back to my teenage years -now in boxes long forgotten.

P.S. I smiled sweetly at the young man & he threw in a free USB cable, which isn't included in the box. Worth a try...

Re Member

Yes ,I think there is a new one out, because I popped in and saw the guy who built my pc and he said that I should have contacted him -- " haven't you seen the 8000?". Which didn't enlighten me much!!
    And I paid $500 for it. Used to be near $600. Always the way.

I have installed a couple of these over the last few months and can say they are excellent all rounders, even the transparency side of them works well although you do need to experiment with settings to obtain best results.

They are one of the few multifunction units from Canon that have seperate cartridges

Unfortunately if you want one you better act quickly as the MP760 is no longer being supplied from Canon (DSE have a few in local stores around the country that they are selling for $398.00 but as they go they will not be replaced)

All of the replacement models use the new ink technology cartridges from Canon that are considerably dearer to purchase with the added problem of no generic cartridges being available for quite some time if generics are your thing.

Regards

AC

In regard to the new model MP800, the main difference is in the ink cartridge?printhead technology.

All of the new Pixmas use the 1 picolitre printheads the previous models use the 2 picolitre heads the new models as previously stated also use smart chipped cartridges.

Most of the tech reviews I have looked at comparing the old versus new series, rather surprisingly recommend sticking with the old if you can still get them.

Mainly due to their far cheaper running costs, simpler ink cartridges, options to use generics, traded off against the finer print head technology of the new series.

On reading head to head reviews the older 2 picolitre technology does not seem to suffer against the newer 1 picolitre with most reviewers noticing no difference in quality of print.

However the newer inks do seem to have a tendency to over saturate colours leading to darker printouts.

AC

Anchored up.

I,ve got the MP780,this replaced the MP760 and it is great.
    The cartridges are around the $20 mark, and generic cartridges are available,but these can/do cause problems eventually.

Hook

The MP780 did not replace the MP760 they are both from the same series.

They differ in the fact that the MP780 has Fax handling capabilities that the MP760 lacks and the MP760 has slide / transparency handling capabilities that the MP780 lacks

AC

Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful.

I have a little confession to make... although I orginally said I had my eye on the MP760 I was also very interested in the MP800 for the newer printing technology, even though the scanning side of it appears to be the same as the MP760.

After having read Alan's comments about reviews recommending sticking with the older device and not noticing any difference in quality of print my interest is back to the MP760 again. I am very surprised to hear that, Alan, as I have been Googling my fingers raw and have not come across any reviews like that. My Google skills are pretty pathetic at the best of times however, so that isn't surprising.

Like Alan says, the MP800's cartridges are more expensive - approx. $5 each dearer than the MP760 but I can't find any information to say whether they actually hold the same amount of ink or not. Amazon says the MP760 cartridges are 2.5 ounces and lists the MP800's as 4 ounces but that doesn't seem right. Canon has listed different results of ink yield so I can't compare whether one will go further than the other, which is a pain. I tend to use brand-specific ink so the lack of alternatives does not concern me with the newer printer. The price does, however.

Waiting a little while before getting the MP800 in case the price reduces a bit is not a problem but if the MP760 is fast disappearing off the shelves I am going to have to move pretty smartly if I want that one.

Decisions, decisions....