Thread: DIY Laptops?!

Question DIY Laptops?!

Was looking for Asus laptop specs (no attempts on my life now, I know I'm going on about them now! ), and I came across this US site:

http://www.directron.com/laptopdiy.html

You get the barebone laptop and install your desired spec CPU, RAM, hard drive and wi-fi card, but it seems a step up from having to buy a laptop with most but not all of the stuff you want- for instance, the HDD on most Asus laptops are 40GB @ 4200rpm, while I would prefer 60GB+ at 5400rpm+...

Any thoughts on this? I mean, could this be done in NZ, or would it be more trouble than it's worth?

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: DIY Laptops?!

One of the Australian magazines reviewed one of these a while ago. It was heavy, bulky, and very expensive.

Surely there are enough models around so that one will suit you.

yeah, I remember reading about it in a forum thread a week or so ago when I was looking, but what I mean is that Asus themselves were selling all the componentry themselves- you buy what you need and then put it together yourself (or get someone else to do it for you! ).

I like the Asus gear, but the idea of picking what I want, and then supersizing it with their chosen components is rather nice- I would get a bigger, faster revving hard drive and more RAM!

I didn't mean buying a DIY laptop so to speak- sorry for the misunderstanding!

Pedant and proud of it

Is this an official ASUS deal? I can see problems with guarantees ... anyone who has taken a laptop apart will know how tricky it can be. Going the other way would be just as "interesting". (An Apple iBook I worked on needed three different sorts of screwdriver, and an Allen key. The calibrated thumbnail to separate the plastic mouldings was extra).

A scheme like the (Dell ?) one where you specify the parts and your computer is assembled accordingly would be a much better one.

"Build your own" cars are rare, athough there are probably many who would like them. Heathkit electronic kits became too expensive. Packing all the parts and providing instructions cost more than just building and testing the whole thing in a factory.

From what I gathered from the above link, the guy runs a computer sales/ repair shop, and he was invited by Asus to visit their US factory, and put a laptop together- appeared to be a centrino setup, with wi-fi etc (from what I was reading that is- couldn't look at the pics and tell one from the other if you put a gun to my head! ).

I've also seen references to this kind of laptop for sale in Oz websites... I figured that Asus in teh US were offering a similar service to Dell here...