Default New Laptop, advice?

Hi,

I'm after a new laptop, something pretty quick and under $3000, ideally <$2500.

I really need the multitasking power of a dual core processor for web development, photoshop etc and Intel's Core Duo have just come out. If it could play the odd game that would be cool too.

The models I have found so far with these chips are far too expensive for what you're getting though:

Asus A6000QJA Notebook, Core Duo T1300, 1.66GHz
    Asus A6000QJC Notebook, Core Duo T2400
    IBM Thinkpad X60s Notebook, Core Duo L2400
    IBM Thinkpad X60 Notebook, Core Duo T2400

The first one in the list, the Asus A6000QJA wouldn't be too bad, but it is not an actual dual core processor, it's a "Core Solo" model, only a single core processor. As you'll see by the model numbers on this page. Which makes me think it's a bit of a lemon actually. It's really only a newer model of the Asus A6VM, everything else is pretty much identical, but you're paying an extra $550 for a slower processor?

The other ones are too expensive for what you're getting. The second Asus one isn't worth another $1000. The IBMs, well they're just a waste of money.

Thing is I really need a laptop in the next few weeks, but I don't want to waste money on something that's going to be slow. Would the Asus A6VM from DSE be worth getting, or should I wait some more for some other brands to bring something out with the dual core chips?

What are the good brands anyway for laptops?

Thanks
    Last edited by Hardy; 30-01-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: New Laptop, advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy

I really need the multitasking power of a dual core processor for web development, photoshop etc and Intel's Core Duo have just come out. If it could play the odd game that would be cool too.
    Bollocks; I believe you lots! Seems to me that "the odd game" is actually your priority! My 1 year old Asus Celeron 2.93Ghz can run Dreamweaver CS, Photoshop 6, two other lesser graphics programmes, web browser (multiple windows) and email, and MS Office Excel and Word 2003, all simultaneously, effortlessly!

We only paid about $1600 for it

The start up times for each app are a bit slower than on my P4 3.00gig kit. But I had to use the lappie for about a month for my web work, and it worked a dream.

Of course, recent games played like a dog. However it did the older Tiberian Sun in both multi-player and solo really well.

So there ya have it...

[edit] and I also think you may be disillusioned about the benefits of dual core... firstly you're always gonna pay top bucks for latest technology. And then, traditionally the software that can benefit from newer technology often lags significantly behind.
    Last edited by Greg; 30-01-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

PureComputerEXpert

personally i recon the Sony Vaios have the vote - Pentium M's are v good as they are best on the Battery Power - Well anyway - Celerons are the "Poor Mans Pentium" and the good old AMD's use that tad bit more power than the Pentium M's.

If you want to wait untill Core Duo laptops are actually available - and you're looking at least another 2 weeks, check out the Toshiba Tecra A6 - Retail price of $2550 incl. GST: http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/71/liv...6&CATOID=-8159

Core Duo T2300 @1.66Ghz; 14.1" WXGA; ATi X-1300 128MB Hypermemory; 512MB DDR2 RAM; 60GB HD (5400rpm); DVD SuperMulti Dual Layer; Bluetooth; Wireless 802.11a/b/g; Fingerprint; XP Pro. Seems a pretty good laptop for the price, fits your budget, and will be able to do some gaming, all be it at low quality. Buy another 512MB or 1GB of Ram and Photoshop will run pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmion
    If you want to wait untill Core Duo laptops are actually available - and you're looking at least another 2 weeks, check out the Toshiba Tecra A6 - Retail price of $2550 incl. GST: http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/71/liv...6&CATOID=-8159

Core Duo T2300 @1.66Ghz; 14.1" WXGA; ATi X-1300 128MB Hypermemory; 512MB DDR2 RAM; 60GB HD (5400rpm); DVD SuperMulti Dual Layer; Bluetooth; Wireless 802.11a/b/g; Fingerprint; XP Pro. Seems a pretty good laptop for the price, fits your budget, and will be able to do some gaming, all be it at low quality. Buy another 512MB or 1GB of Ram and Photoshop will run pretty well too.
    Hey that looks really good aye. Full specs. From what I can tell the X-1300 is about comparable to a 6600 so that's not too bad. Price is good too. It's not a brick at 2.26kg either.

I might try emailing round some online retailers, see who can get me one. Don't mind waiting 2 weeks.

So, do you admit it's really a gaming rig that you're after, and the other requirements are secondary???
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    So, do you admit it's really a gaming rig that you're after, and the other requirements are secondary???
    Busted

There's the A7 Tecra as well which is about $2857 incl GST (roughly).

Tecra A7 - Code # PTA71A-011003
    T2300, 2 x 1.66 Ghz,
    Mobility Ati X1600, 128MB dedicated (graphics twice as good)
    512 MB DDR2,
    60 GB, 5400rpm HDD
    2.72kg (bit heavier)
    15.4" screen 1280x800 (bit bigger screen)

As far as I can see it's a bit heavier, got better graphics and a slightly bigger screen.

Might get that over the other one and throw some extra ram in it.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=345611

Now don't everyone buy one at once, I need one.