Default Using plug converters

Hey guys I've recently moved over here form the UK and had a couple of questions, and was wondering in anyone could help me out. As you might expect i have alot of stuff that has a UK 3 pin plug and need a way to convert them. I brought a few of the powerboards/surgeguards (the things that let you plug 4 items into one outet) and was wondering if it was safe to use just one plug converter into the wall, thereby letting me convert 4 things with just one adaptor.

Thanks in advance

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Default Re: Using plug converters

Yes, provided the total maximum current from the wall socket does not exceed 10 amps.

If you wanted to be fussy, you could replace the 13 amp fuse in the UK plug going to the wall socket with a 10 amp one.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Pedant and proud of it

I wish we had adopted that UK style as the standard plug in 1930 or thereabouts when NZ and Australia chose our present one. It's much better.

perpetual newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L
    I wish we had adopted that UK style as the standard plug in 1930 or thereabouts when NZ and Australia chose our present one. It's much better.
    Sorry.. why? (I honestly want to know the benifits over the system we use)

-Qyiet

Surely it would be easier to buy new plugs for the items and rewire them? Unless the length of the cord was a problem but you would only lose about 4cm off the length.

Pedant and proud of it

The main reason is that the pins are capable of carrying the rated current without overheating. Many of the moulded plugs on appliances are shockingly bad. It's amazing that there aren't more house fires caused by overheating 3 pin plugs and sockets. I have seen a lot of blackened and distorted multisocket strips which are evidence of some very near escapes.

The famous 13A fuse in the plugs is less of an advantage ... that's there as part of the ring fixed wiring system. That's probably a better scheme too ... but my experience of electronics and electrical things in general has made me biassed in favour of quality connectors.

The main advantage of the British Ring Main system is the fact that the fuse is actually in the plug itself. If something stops working then nothing else is affected and you know where the fuse is. The main problem is the sheer size of the damn things. Try carrying a few leads for your shaver, electric toothbrush, camera, laptop and radio etc and you need a flipping truck to carry them all.
    Tom

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

The fuse is supposed to be sized for the application, but it seldom is. 13Amp is fitted by default (or used to be) and few people ever change it.

A ring main system is so much neater and uses less wire than the NZ system which has individual runs to nearly every power point.

A look at a typical UK meter board (or as it was 30 years ago ) will have a fused cooker lead, one or two power ring main wires, and one or two lighting rings, (for upstairs and downstairs rings) and there will be an earth current trip. Not much to see at all.

Open an NZ board or rather a board in an older house like ours, and it will spring out at you with the mass of individual wirings in there
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"