Default Gateway Laptop (Centrino) vs. Dell Laptop (M Celeron)

I need to make a choice beetween Dell Laptop (Intel Celeron M Processor 360, 512MB RAM) and Gateway Laptop (1.4 GHz Intel Pentium M - Centrino, 512MB RAM).

I was told that Centrino is much better than Celeron (faster and a lot less power consumption). However, some people told me that Gateway has very poor track record on quality of their products.

Did someone experience problems with Gateway PC in general and with laptops in particular?

Please advise. Thanks.

Default Re: Gateway Laptop (Centrino) vs. Dell Laptop (M Celeron)

if you could only choose between these two, i would go for the Dell. It is a Pentium M based cpu compared with a Celeron.

Id recommend getting something different if you can, ie Toshiba, HP, Acer, ASUS.

This forum (and most of it's members) are in New Zealand.

Gateway withdrew from the NZ - Asia-Pacific region in 2004, so no support is available and little of their product is therefore around.

Therefore asking users here for experience in Gateway products may not get the response you perhaps expect. What country are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    if you could only choose between these two, i would go for the Dell. It is a Pentium M based cpu compared with a Celeron.
    from the post it is stated that the dell is the celeron not the Pm. either way I would go for the pentium m, but don't know about gateway

Pedant and proud of it

Gateway sell a lot of computers. There will be a lot of people who have had problems with Gateways. Dell sell a lot of computers. There will be a lot of people... That's how statistics work. What you hear about companies will depend on what the people you listen to bought. That's how randomness works.

Gateway probably don't make any laptops. There are only about three companies which do that. They make them for the companies whose names appear on them. So the Gateway and the Dell might have come from the same factory.

Both Gateway and Dell are still in business, so neither has gone broke because their failure rate has exceeded their guarantee budget.

I am from US.
    I would like to thank everyone for sharing different points of view and useful considerations. It helps.

Quote Originally Posted by plod
    from the post it is stated that the dell is the celeron not the Pm. either way I would go for the pentium m, but don't know about gateway
    Whoops, got them mixed up. Go for the PM