morgenmuffel

Default Excel problem unable to drag cell corner to auto increment column

Greetings all

Excel 3003

In the not so distant past i used to be able to enter some values into the cells of a column
    eg

and then grab the right hand bottom corner of the cell to automatically increment the numbers as I went down the column

i also used this to increment formulaes etc

But for some reason i can no longer do this I don't recall making any changes that would have affected this

If anyone has any ideas please help as i have 2100 records to check and doing it manually is going to suck big time

Cheers

Edit

OK I'm back
    I have open office 2 and it works in that (the auto incrementing drag thing), so it is not as urgent but I still would like to know how to fix excel
    Last edited by Morgenmuffel; 05-01-2006 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Open Office 2 handles it OK
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Default Re: Excel problem unable to drag cell corner to auto increment column

Excel needs to know what you are actually doing, to use an autoincrementing list.

If you have

and highlight both cells and drag down, it will realise and increment.

So just highlight the bottom 2 cells that have incremental numbers (or dates, days, etc) and drag and it will understand and increment OK.

morgenmuffel

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Excel needs to know what you are actually doing, to use an autoincrementing list.

If you have

and highlight both cells and drag down, it will realise and increment.

So just highlight the bottom 2 cells that have incremental numbers (or dates, days, etc) and drag and it will understand and increment OK.
    Thats my problem in a nutshell, it won't do that, i have used it for years with no problem and suddenly it just doesn't work anymore
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Make sure the cells are actually formatted as numbers (not text)
    If the source was an export from another program the format could be screwed.

Select a blank cell, put 1 in it
    Select that 1 and Edit-copy
    Select cells you have to increment and Edit - Paste Special - Values - Multiply

That should fix any format issues.

You need to hold down the Ctrl key before dragging the corner of the cell (or last cell) down to increment values.

If that doesn't work, you may need to re-install Excel.

Cheers.

Roger

morgenmuffel

Thanks guys but so far no succes

You need to hold down the Ctrl key before dragging the corner of the cell (or last cell) down to increment values.
    Nope doesn't work for me,

Select a blank cell, put 1 in it
    Select that 1 and Edit-copy
    Select cells you have to increment and Edit - Paste Special - Values - Multiply
    That doesn't work either, all i get in the incremented values are noughts (and yes the columns are formatted as numbers)

I have tried using an old spreadsheet that I had previously done this on, a new workbook and also one that was generated by another application all with the same problem

Everything else in excel seems to work

Hi Nigel

Check the setting on the Edit tab under Tools/Options for "Allow cell drag and drop".

That should fix it.

Cheers.

Roger

morgenmuffel

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet
    Hi Nigel

Check the setting on the Edit tab under Tools/Options for "Allow cell drag and drop".

That should fix it.

Cheers.

Roger
    Thanks that fixed it