Unhappy Can't Access BIOS

Hello All

I am unable to Access my BIOS

I Am Running an IBM NetVista - And it seems as if my Keyboard is not active until windows starts to load... and F1 will not launch the Configuration Setup.

I have tried;

1 - Holding the F1 Key while turning on the PC
    2 - Rapidly pressing the F1 key as I was booting up
    3 - Holding down a random key (hoping to get an error message - and have it automatically launch the the BIOS Setup)

All those three attempts failed.

Then, with the power off, I unplugged my keyboard and powered up the computer. THAT got its attention and it gave me a keyboard error. So I then Powered down, Plugged in the keyboard, turn the PC on again and BINGO the BIOS SETUP APPEARED!!!! But Alas... my keyboard would not work, leaving no alternative but to restart yet again.

Then as a last attempt... I reset the BIOS (using the Jumper) - still to avail.

Now all that being said, I should provide some history, I am having problems with my sound... and was wondering if a BIOS setting was to blame... I was able to get into the BIOS and I changed one one of the settings to "Legacy free Mode" (don't ask why). After I changed this setting I have been unsuccessful in accessing the BIOS

I truly hope that someone can provide some insite to this dilema - any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Fletch

Default Re: Can't Access BIOS

1. has the keybd got an 'F' lock key that has been activated and disabled the function keys?
    2. try another keybd
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

Do you have a USB keyboard, or a PS2 Keyboard??

Appreciate the Rapid responses,

1 - No F-Lock and I have tried another Keyboard
    2 - It is a PS2 Keyboard

I have even tried a PS2 Mouse instead of my USB in hopes that IBM (having never owned one) would let me use it in the BIOS Util.

Cheers
    Fletch

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Something that all Netvista owners should do anyway, is to remove the case and carefully examine the capacitors on the motherboard for bulging tops or leakage. IBM manufactured a very large batch (or batches) with the infamous faulty electrolytic capactors.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

sounding like a dead keybd controller or faulty mobo
    try a USB keybd just for the hell of it, u never know
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

Pedant and proud of it

That "Legacy Free Mode" is most likely to be the problem. I would have thought that resetting the BIOS would have fixed that. Try borrowing a USB keyboard (which should work) and turn that option back.

Do the keyboard lights flash during the POST? If so, just try holding any key down continuously while starting up. That causes a keyboard error, which might force the BIOS to give you a chance to get into the setup.