Default Live Knoppix CD help to save broken down PC

Hi,
    Friend has PC (no idea on specs but running XP, and is compaq presario) which stopped working. It will turn on, get to windows login screen but will not load anything on desktop but the background.
    I have tried booting into safe mode but no different.
    I have been able to boot to knoppix cd and can access the files in windows which we need to keep but not sure how to get them off this box if I have to reload windows.
    I have external hard drive which I cant seem to find while knoppix is loaded.
    Will this live knoppix cd allow me to transfer the files to the external (connected via usb)?

open to any other suggestions - but the main priority is to get the files off this box safely.

Cheers

Default Re: Live Knoppix CD help to save broken down PC

remove the hard drive, hook it up as a slave to another machine then transfer the files to the external
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

Quote Originally Posted by sam m
    Hi,
    Will this live knoppix cd allow me to transfer the files to the external (connected via usb)?

open to any other suggestions - but the main priority is to get the files off this box safely.

Cheers
    Definately will let you do that, but it is likely to be easier to put the drive into another computer as bartsdadhomer said.

But if its too much hassle to do that, knoppix can be used....

Quote Originally Posted by sam m
    Hi,

Cheers
    I have used Knoppix for this exact situation a number of times - never had any trouble connecting to an external USB drive - not sure what cold be wrong!
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - Oppo AX7

Yes, knoppix should let you copy stuff to the external drive.

I use a bootable cd called UBCD4Win, downloadable from here: http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm, which is very easy to use - you can use it to burn your data off onto CD-Rs if you have a cd writer.

I would have liked to have found the external drive via knoppix but not to be and I couldnt be bothered trying too hard as I knew I had a couple of other options. Spurred on by suggestions here I have removed hard drive and put it in my external hard drive case so I didnt have to worry about changing it to slave. Connected it up to my comp and all files there to be saved. Once done I can put it back and then run the *horrid* recovery drive I found on the compaq. Hopefully I will have option to recover but if worse case scenario occurs at least I will have those precious pics safely tucked away on my comp.

Thanks for the suggestions

Re Member

I think I read in the mag that the external drive has to be turned on before you boot with the Knoppix disc?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McC
    I think I read in the mag that the external drive has to be turned on before you boot with the Knoppix disc?
    I tried both ways, even tried all of the 6 usb ports, rebooting each time. Might have to investigate it later on as I can see it would be a good solution for future probs.

My mission to fix PC was completed last night. Compaq have that recovery partition (F10 on boot up) which actually was easier than I thought. I had already backed up data (removed drive and put in my external hard drive case) but surprisingly the recovery partition worked well.

Thanks

Yeah for all the slagging Compaq/HP/Dell etc. get, the one thinks that seems to work well are the recovery options they provide with the machines.
    You can reinstall the OS and not lose any data, docs, emails etc.
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

I have done this
    Recovered data from a broken windows instailalition using Knoppix and a usb pen drive
    couple traps to watch for
    1. you may have mount the usb drive try in bash "mount /dev/sda [space here] /media/usb or /mnt/usb

2. once mounted you have to make the drive writable (by default its read only)
    I right clicked on the drive icon and went to properties and put a tick into "w"

HTH
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ