Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OpenOffice and one other linux query

I am wondering who uses OO with linux, esp OO2. How do you find it with .doc documents (MS Word). I keep getting sent out all these .doc and am sick of booting to Windows just to read or edit them.
    I am currently trying koffice but have noticed formatting issues with that and current documents (e.g. my C.V.). Does OO2 have these same formatting issues? I want to know before I d/load it (100MB) and compile (at least an all nighter on Gentoo).

My other query, I have a Celeron based nx9010 HP laptop, that I may have to travel with soon, and don't want to be without my Gentoo lol. Can I install Gentoo to an approx 5 GB partition? I need Windows for non personal use. The size of the partition can't really be any higher, I doubt I will need a large /home as I won't be storing much within Gentoo.

I also hear I should use the pentium3 arch, does that sound right?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Default Re: OpenOffice and one other linux query

When I had Mepis on my other computer recently we were creating and editing documents in Open Office from Word with no problems. The formatting was retained OK but I am not sure how a very heavily formatted document would go. It should be OK.

Remember that Linux fonts are different to Windows fonts but Mepis had a very close match so it was hardly noticeable anyway.

The Open Office version I was using was the one prior to the current version which ought to be even better.

One thing to remember is to save your documents in either Word format or .rtf format rather than the default Open Office format otherwise you or others won't be able read them without OO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    I am wondering who uses OO with linux, esp OO2. How do you find it with .doc documents (MS Word). I keep getting sent out all these .doc and am sick of booting to Windows just to read or edit them.
    I am currently trying koffice but have noticed formatting issues with that and current documents (e.g. my C.V.). Does OO2 have these same formatting issues? I want to know before I d/load it (100MB) and compile (at least an all nighter on Gentoo).
    Any .doc that I open in OOo seems OK to me. Have you considered using Abiword?

Can I install Gentoo to an approx 5 GB partition? I need Windows for non personal use. The size of the partition can't really be any higher, I doubt I will need a large /home as I won't be storing much within Gentoo.
    5 gig should be enough as long as you don't select half of the portage repository to install.

I also hear I should use the pentium3 arch, does that sound right?
    That lappy appears to be a Pentium 4, so you should use that architecture in your flags.

If you are looking for an easy/fast install, then why not pop a binary distro on the lappy instead? Save yourself a lot of time and effort ...

Gentoo on laptops worth a read.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Go Gentoo and read the forum article on f.g.o about OOo2

Then use some ricer CFLAGS with prelinking to make it fly

http://funroll-loops.org
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

morgenmuffel

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX
    W
    Remember that Linux fonts are different to Windows fonts but Mepis had a very close match so it was hardly noticeable anyway.
    I know you can install windows fonts on linux do they not work with open office once installed, i know ages ago when i installed the fonts (on linux) i had to do something to make them work in the browser

OO2 is a lot more advanced than K-office and is designed to be compatible with word (it's not 100%) but i have never had huge problems with it, everything has always been readable and only ocasionally is the formatting out
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    I know you can install windows fonts on linux do they not work with open office once installed, i know ages ago when i installed the fonts (on linux) i had to do something to make them work in the browser
    I am pretty sure Windows fonts work in Open Office but you do have to install them first, of course.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

IIRC, I imported my in kcontrol
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Yep, I've imported Windows fonts. There's a font builder too.

Tssk tsk, shoulda installed Mepis Tazz, it has an On The Go Disk, which you can take anywhere, great support for lappies too. Wont honk like Gentoo though.

morgenmuffel

Murray

how does this "on the go" thing work?

as it is an option on my mepis boot, but i have never really been game enough to try it
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation