Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington ISPs

perpetual newbie

Default Wellington ISPs

One of the guys I work with moving to wellington, and as I would rather sell my soul than recommend telecom's DSL, I was wondering if anyone was using services in wellington (apart from DSL) and what the pluses and minuses are, so I can set him straight.

For reference he uses a lot of national traffic in both directions. Latency is also a factor in what he does.

-Qyiet

Default Re: Wellington ISPs

paradise cable which is avalible in most area's, their national traffic is calculated at a fraction of the internatinal.
    I will dig out my plan when I get home from work

perpetual newbie

Thanks plod, I found the coverage map and pricing.

What is the latency like? What is the downtime like? customer support? do you like them as an ISP? Is the inital setup difficult?

-Qyiet

I have been with paradise as a isp for I think 6-7 years maybe, they have been pretty good, they have been swallowed up a few time by different companys, so I can say there support has gone down hill, but don't get me wrong there support is still very good just not as good as when it was only a small company.
    Downtime is not to bad, if its for maintanace they usually give you warnings and do it at a odd hour so not to disrupt to much..
    I will finish this later, boss is kicking my ass

Uni Student

Goodday. I prefer slingshot jetbuster plans. They are quite quick and so far no problems. The customer service is quite good, except the time it takes to get connected to them and occasionally when you wait all this time to find out you've been transferred to the wrong department!

The plans are the cheapest you can get if you go with toll calls with Slingshot with additional discounts on it depending on amounts spent on toll calls. I would definitely recomment slingshot.

My current plan which includes telephone, basic sky(through telstraclear) and cable internet(1 gig limit 2mb) is $112.00 a month, I have just renegotiated with telstra and will get the above but a 10gig limit and 10mb download for $122.00 a month.
    I have hunted around for a better deal but can't find one.
    I prefer not to use telecom, not because I dislike them, but to support the companies that give telecom competition and help bring prices down if only a little bit

perpetual newbie

white_lightning:Thanks, but the jetbuster from slingshot is just slingshot reselling telecom's services. I would rather stay as far away from DSL as possible.

plod:Thank you very much for all the information, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with your boss. paradise support used to be legendary (I remember the number of times that they got user rated best ISP in netguide) so I understand what you mean by not as good as it was

world in general:Most of the reason I don't want to use telcom's DSL is because the service they have been providing both my work and my family (I am not on DSL) has been awful, especially when there is a fault. I don't like what they are doing with pricing and so forth, but it is they absolute crap service that drives me nuts.

<deep, calming, breath>

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it a lot. There is no information better than the actual experiences people have had.

-Qyiet

Quote Originally Posted by qyiet
    white_lightning:Thanks, but the jetbuster from slingshot is just slingshot reselling telecom's services. I would rather stay as far away from DSL as possible.

plod:Thank you very much for all the information, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with your boss. paradise support used to be legendary (I remember the number of times that they got user rated best ISP in netguide) so I understand what you mean by not as good as it was

world in general:Most of the reason I don't want to use telcom's DSL is because the service they have been providing both my work and my family (I am not on DSL) has been awful, especially when there is a fault. I don't like what they are doing with pricing and so forth, but it is they absolute crap service that drives me nuts.

<deep, calming, breath>

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it a lot. There is no information better than the actual experiences people have had.

-Qyiet
    Yeah the boss starts looking at me funny if Im on the computer to long as I should be in the factory running the machines

perpetual newbie

Quote Originally Posted by plod
    Yeah the boss starts looking at me funny if Im on the computer to long as I should be in the factory running the machines
    Heh, well there goes one steriotype.. I figured you were in the design side of publishing.

-Qyiet

Quote Originally Posted by qyiet
    Heh, well there goes one steriotype.. I figured you were in the design side of publishing.

-Qyiet
    nah, just a low life printer