Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Network connection issues

Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem with my Asus Extensa laptop, running XP Home SP2, all updates.
    Lately, (last few days), if I leave my lappy on for a few hours, the network connection dies. It stays in my taskbar, saying connected at 100Mbps, but I can't use MSN, IE, Firefox, or any web applications. My comp is fully virus, and spyware protected. I know its a bad problem because if I go into network connections, disabling does absolutely nothing. It refuses to disable. Even pulling the network cable out wont make it realise somethings wrong. I have to reboot to get internet working again. My flatmates haven't noticed anything like this, so I know its not the internet at our flat, it must be something horribly wrong with my beloved trusty laptop.

Cheers for any help,

roddy

Correct my English!

Default Re: Network connection issues

Perhaps this has to do with incorrectly setup firewall?

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

No, I dont think so. I'm only running XP built in firewall. Network will work fine for a few hours, then just cut out and refuse to respond. I'm suspecting hardware issues but I'm really hoping I'm wrong and its relatively easily fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

roddy

Hmm... Just made an interesting observation. I have had my computer on since making this thread last night, and the connection hasn't died yet... It seems, from memory, to happen when I watch movies using WMPlayer. No logical explanation as to why this may be so, as I cant think of anything in WMPlayer that would mess with my network connections.
    Strange.

roddy

Ok more interesting observations... When the connection is down, and I ctrl-alt-del, it tells me there are no network devices present, under the networking tab. I also managed to disable the connection finally when it was supposed to be active, then when i tried to re-enable it, it says "connection failed!". The green led on my network cable port stays on when its plugged in, even though the computer cant use it. If I try to repair it when its down, it tries to renew the IP, then gives me an error something like "Repair failed: could not renew IP".

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this, or tell me its a hardware issue, so I can take it back as its still under warranty.

Cheers,

roddy

Somebody please help me! It's getting really annoying and worrying now!

Please....

roddy

Its starting to sound like hardware failure (i.e. your network card).

Before we venture down that road however, have you tried different drivers for the card? You can either manually search the net for the exact drivers for your card, or more that likely if you got to MS updates they will have a generic driver that works 99-100% of the time.

How old is the laptop? If under warranty, and the drivers idea doesn't work, I would think about taking it in to the place of retail
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Hi Tazz, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not to good with drivers and the likes, so would ou be able to expand a little on what you said?

My laptop is only about 7 months old, I got it when I started uni this year. I've already taken it back once because of a strange crackling noise from the speakers, which turned out to be a BIOS issue. I can easily take it back though, so that option is viable. The 2 hour repair service is good too.

Thanks again,

roddy

Go to the Microsoft Updates web site and run the scan it requires to see what updates you have, and what ones you need. When it gives you the 2 button selection screen (the 2 buttons being Custom and Express) click on Custom. ON the left hand side of the screen will be a list of the following (this is after it has scanned what updates you don't have):
    Critical; Software; Hardware. Look under hardware, and there may be a driver for your Network card (usually VIA or Rhine or similar). Select the driver if its there, and add it to your critical updates and download.
    Don't select sound or graphics drivers (for those go to the proper manufacturer). Most other drivers are okay.
    Anyway, if Microsoft Updates doesn't have a network adaptor driver, you will need to. search for it.
    For this, you first need to know what card driver you are looking for, so you will need software to identify the network card. For this I would recommend downloading Everest (formerly AIDA32) or Belarc Advisor. Google for either of those.
    Run whichever one you chose, Belarc will put all details onto one browser page, for Everest, its best to look under summary> computer> then there will be a section for network.
    Any probs, let us know
    Last edited by Myth; 27-09-2005 at 06:20 PM.
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Thanks for the detailed reply Tazz. I went to the windows update site, but there were no hardware updates available. Used Everest, and got latest driver for my network adaptor. Now to test it to find out whether its fixed or not.

Thanks heaps,

roddy