Question System Restore eating up hard drive space

I am having a problem on a Windows XP machine. On a 30 gig HD I was almost out of space. I uninstalled everything I could afford and wasn't gaining anything. Every time I re-boot the machine I would lose more space. I was down to 6% of my HD left. I installed a program called VoptXP which is a defrag program. This program told me that I had 22 gig used by system restore. My SR was set to 3% and was only supposed to hold about 800 meg total. I turned off SR and instantly I was back to 82% free space on the HD. I turned SR back on, still set at 3%. Now, and still, every time I re-boot the machine SR takes more space. I lose 2% of my HD EVERY time I re-boot. What would make SR not stop at the alloted space that I set for it? It just keeps going and going.
    Thanks for any ideas you might have.

iguana

Default Re: System Restore eating up hard drive space

Suggest you double check your SR percentage, turn off SR, reboot, turn SR back on, reboot, then tell us again how much it takes.

Caution - this usually deletes all old restore points.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

As I posted, that's exactly what I did. I turned off SR and got 82% of my HD back. I turned SR back on and after each and every re-boot I lose 2% of my HD. After a couple hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support today they came to the conclusion that I need to re-format the HD. They had me tweaking things in the registry to no avail. Looks like it's a problem they don't know how to fix.

Hi iguana. Bit of light reading here about system restore and its use of your resources.

That was interesting information. However, that doesn't apply to my problem.
    Since SR is constantly taking more of my HD I wonder if it would even stop itself like the article says it would when it is working properly and space gets critically low. Anyway, it's re-format time so the problem should then be gone. Thanks for the tries.