Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mixed Member

Default Your Election Policies

I should have started this days ago and it is a bit late. However instead of arguing about whom we support, how about saying what we'd like the government - any government, to do.

My ideas:

Permit income sharing between couples for taxation. So a mother who stays at home shares her husbands income and their overall tax is reduced. A United Future policy.

Use all fuel tax for roading and remove the 5c extra levy.

Remove GST from rates - a tax on a tax.

First $5000 of salary/wages (not interest/dividends) taxfree.

Interest-free student loans while the student remains resident in NZ.

Develop a database on energy efficency including our building methods.

Develop sorely needed co-operative models in education and health.

Default Re: Your Election Policies

Introduced capped welfare - ie. you cannot stay on welfare (with the exception of superannuation) indefinetely. You get x number of months support from the government, during which you are expected to find work. After that, payments stop, and you're on your own. Only allow people who physically cannot work to be on sickness/invalids benefits - ie. double amputee, blind etc.

Make income which is routed into locked savings accounts - ie. cannot be touched until you retire - tax free. Make income on people still studying full time at secondary school tax free, with the condition that 75% of that income is put into a savings account for tertiary or industry study.

Put tolls on roads - user pays. Stop taxing all NZers to pay for Auckland's roads.

Develop a decent electric rail network in Auckland. Then, impose taxes on Auckland motorists, not before. (Note: I don't live in Auckland). Encourage the use of rail for freight transport.

Universal Student Allowance, with condition that students remain in and work in NZ for 3 years after they finish study.

Scrap free trade agreement with China. Pursue trade agreements with countries where NZ will genuinely make money, or at least break even.

Cut wasted govt spending and perks for MPs. This money is better spent in health and education.

Finally.. Tax cuts to encourage NZers to work, and to upskill.

work for the dole

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    work for the dole
    You can't work for the dole - its a contradiction. If you were working you wouldn't be on the dole.
    Oh, I see, you mean pointless, leading nowhere make-work.
    Been tried before...now moving on to sensible comments like the first post...

Middle Aged Member

Winston, How is GST on rates 'a tax on a tax'? When I pay my rates I get various services in return ie water out of my taps, my sewerage taken away, local roads, my rubbish collected etc. If I paid anyone else for these services I would be charged GST on whatever I was charged for that service. So why should it be any different if I pay the council for these services instead?

Introduced capped welfare - ie. you cannot stay on welfare (with the exception of superannuation) indefinetely. You get x number of months support from the government, during which you are expected to find work. After that, payments stop, and you're on your own. Only allow people who physically cannot work to be on sickness/invalids benefits - ie. double amputee, blind etc.
    That would be my top policy as well. I would also cut taxes to encourage investment, boost education and health funding, increase police numbers and get tough of crime. ie. If you murder someone you go to jail for life with no parole etc. Also, create a boot camp like school to send kids who are expelled from school to instead of having them on the streets learning how to become the next generation of criminals. At least they would learn some discipline there as they are obviously being controlled properly by their parents. Finally, a pet hate of mine is smoking. I would extend the current anti-smoking policies to all public places (not just enclosed ones) especially bus stops.

You can't work for the dole - its a contradiction. If you were working you wouldn't be on the dole.
    The name may be a contradiction, but you may as well have them doing something instead of doing nothing all day.

Mixed Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B
    Winston, How is GST on rates 'a tax on a tax'? When I pay my rates I get various services in return ie water out of my taps, my sewerage taken away, local roads, my rubbish collected etc. If I paid anyone else for these services I would be charged GST on whatever I was charged for that service. So why should it be any different if I pay the council for these services instead?
    Okay okay, fair point. I still support it though.

One of the good things about GST is that it is a very simple tax, levied on almost everything. Easy to calculate and a useful business tool to keep an eye on trading.

When it was introduced the Labour govt promised that GST would be returned to local authorities. This never happened. Removing it from rates would be a rare example of simple tinkering - it is workable. Essentially councils would obtain a 1/9th boost in cash flow. The govt has unloaded a lot on councils over the past 15 years but not money.

Mixed Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    work for the dole
    One of the big but unacknowledged problems with being a beneficiary is loss of mana. Self-confidence and self-esteem take a serious hit.

We all need to be wanted, to be valued, useful. Work (and motherhood ) give us that. When the work habit is lost, the connection with the community is often lost too leading to social problems, crime etc.

So there is merit in working for the dole. But the work should be meaningful and allow for skill development. The problems are organising it, finding supervisors, and not taking jobs away from already employed people. It is actually a really tough program to put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody
    I have thought about this too.....

I was thinking about a system of have 10 years per life time :-)
    if you use the 10 years between the age of 18 and 28 then too bad, if you use a year every now and again then thats cool too.

or mayby a system where the welfare is reduced bit by bit every week untill you have no more. EG $145 is paid the first week but only $144 the next week and so on.

other big things fior me are:

* more $$ for publice transport.
    * less perks for the MPs, esply the ofter they leave office.
    * less waste in govt departments.
    * more police on the roads, not just saying more $$ for police
    * much stricter punishment for road offences. EG drink driveing & speeding.
    "Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer!"
    Grand Nagus - Zek

http://brightwork.wordpress.com/

What a great idea - an "If I Ruled the World" thread.

Let's see...

Welfare:
    Intended as an emergency, temporary measure, it's become a lifestyle choice for some school-leavers & others.
    If you haven't contributed to the tax fund, you can't expect to take from the tax fund.
    So no benefit entitlements to kids who leave school & go straight on the dole, or for immigrants/refugees or whatever who expect a handout as soon as they step off the plane.
    It's only fair - if you haven't contributed, you can't take.
    This would extend to healthcare; steal Australia's great Medicare card system. Every taxpayer is issued with a card, which is presented when requesting healthcare. This will stop non-contributers from arriving here to have babies at the Kiwi taxpayer's expense.
    Very carefully examine the criteria for sickness benefit & independantly review every case. Time-consuming & expensive, but there are many on the sickness benefit unneccesarily.

Law & Order:
    More money (both in salary & resources) for Police doing what is a very difficult job.
    Overhaul the prison system with a view to cutting costs (currently $56,575 per year for each prisoner ) http://www.corrections.govt.nz/publi.../keyfacts.html
    and review the type of care they receive.
    Without any facts to back it up, relying solely on my own uninformed assumptions, the perception is that they have free TV (and maybe Sky) DVDs, free medical/dental care, access to computers etc.
    Sounds like a holiday camp to me. I don't know the answer, but isn't prison supposed to be punishment?

Maori Issues:
    There aren't any.
    We all grow up in the same environment & have access to the same educational/employment opportunities.
    So why are Maori so "disadvantaged"?
    Umm..
    Crime: Maori make up, what, 15% of the population? Yet they're 45% of the prison population. That's disgusting. That's embarrassing. What part of "being Maori" makes them so prone to commit crimes? Poverty? I'm poor & I can get through the day without mugging anyone.
    Health: A disproportionate number of of Maori are described by the Ministry of Health as obese (27% of Maori vs 12% of Pakeha) http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/0/784...2?OpenDocument
    Over 40% of Maori are smokers, vs 20% of non-Maori.
    These problems, and their associated health costs to all taxpayers, are the direct result of lifestyle choices.

With all the the "special treatment" they get, they should be the healthiest, most well-behaved race in the country.
    Until whatever Government we get stuck with either closes the Maori Affairs Dept (and Maori seats) or opens up The Pakeha Affairs Dept, The Indian People Affairs Dept, The English People Affairs Dept, etc, this openly racist, apartheid-like arrangement will keep voters turned towards National or anyone else with the guts to stand up to political correctness.
    We've been throwing money at Maori for years & they're still over-represented in health/crime/education etc statistics. So clearly, giving them most of my money for simply being the "right" colour ain't working.

Transport:
    Subsidise (very heavily) public transport. Put money into upgrading the whole rail system & obviously spend heavily of roading projects. Borrow for roading, as future generations will benefit for this & must take on some of the cost.

Health:
    Part of any review of the student loan system should be geared towards ensuring that medical graduates stay here instead of heading overseas. The current system of training Kiwis who then head off overseas, leaving us to import medical personnel form other countrues is ridiculous.
    Steal Australia's Medicare system to ensure that only those who pay through thei taxes can use our medical resources.

Government:
    Dump this MMP crap.
    Only 5% of us voted for Winston, yet he gets to be "kingmaker"? Again?
    I thought the whole point of democracy was that we decided who ran the country; not rely on "deals" being made.
    This whole "list MP" crap makes my blood boil. People who we didn't even vote for get $80,000-a-year jobs at our expense? Wasn't Donna Awatere-Sunglasses a list MP?
    In my defense, I was living in Oz at the time MMP was voted in, so understand little of it.

More dictatorial proclamations as they come to mind.

Last edited by Peterj116; 18-09-2005 at 09:22 PM.