Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Very Slow XP Computer

A mate’s dropped of this Compaq Presario computer running a AMD 1996 m/hz (does that sound right?) processor, 256mh/z Ram with XP home OS.

Now, the problem was that it hardly went at all. It’s a couple of years old and has had no maintenance what so ever.

So, I installed Ad-Aware, Spybot & ewido, brought them right up to date, and promptly removed 1700, yes 1700, ad-ware etc. infections.

Interestingly, AVG (updated) found nothing.

Then I installed System-Works and sorted out a couple of hundred crook registry entries etc.

Finally, I defragged, but the damn thing is still slower than my first 286.

If it were mine I’d format and start again, but it isn’t and it has a lot of business information on it, which I can’t afford to loose.

The question therefore is what more can I do? I’ve had very little experience with XP and wonder if has a repair programme or similar that I can run?

Any suggestions welcome.

Bob

Default Re: Very Slow XP Computer

Put more ram in it. You'll be surprised what more ram can do, when using XP.

In my experience, once it gets to that stage, it is too late. Back up everything you want to keep, then if you have room on one of your other computers, make a ghost image of the entire drive (just in case you think of something later that you wished you had got off it), wipe it clean & reinstall.

512mb of RAM would be good for it, but it won't make that much difference unless it has had a lot of extra bloated apps installed on it.
    Last edited by Greven; 03-09-2005 at 09:15 PM.

I'm sure RAM would help Speedy but this machine has another problem somewhere.

My son has a similar machine running XP with 256 RAM and it’s 10 times faster than this one.

The CPU might be faster. CPU speed makes a diff too with XP.

Or it maybe running more programs on startup, than your sons.

Most the computers at SIT are like that - they try to put every program any class needs on every computer & it makes machines that should make good office machines almost useless.
    All the computers in my class are 2ghz pIVs running windows 2000, with all the ones that are assigned to students having 512mb RAM & a few spares with 256mb RAM. We wiped one of the 256mb machines & did a fresh install of XP. It runs better than all the 512MB machines.

check whats running at startup.

then check device manger and check the ide controllers, make sure the hardrive is not running in pio mode or anything stupid like that. take note of what drivers it has installed.

you can use system file checker, run sfc /scannow

clean out he temp files and the usual tidy up if you havn't done so yet.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Thanks guys.

Sorry I’ve been so long getting back on this one but the story goes like this.

Tweaky’s on to it.

Running sfc /scannow produces errors for which I require the XP Home, installation CD, to remedy the problem.

You guessed it, they can’t remember what they did with it! There’s no doubt the whole computer is legit, they're just those people that don’t realise the importance of keeping secure the disks that accompanied the computer when purchased. No doubt those of you who are doing this work for a living encounter this problem all the time.

So the question is, what now?

Another mate loaned me his XP Home edition CD to try but no luck there. Mr Gates seems to have made sure you can’t get round the problem like that. I have the key number for the existing installation (on a sticker attached to the case) but I was never asked for it. Just got a message “Wrong Disk”. (Yes I Know)

Now, what do you techies do in a case like this? Looks like there are 5 in all corrupted .dll files in the dilcache.

How do I trick Mr Gates?

you need the same type of disk that was used to install it ie XP home SP1 or XP home SP2 etc. borrowed disks work fine

edit: you could boot useing the cd and do a repair install.
    Last edited by tweak'e; 04-09-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    Tweak it till it breaks

As tweakee said, other discs work fine (we do it all the time).

Just make sure the O/Ss match (SP1 disc for SP1 machine and so on)

The five corrupt dlls could be anything (registry looking for missing dll esp Nortons after an uninstall).
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj