Unhappy Can't open links in outlook express

I don't know what happened but all at once I can't open links to attachments in outlook express. If I get an email with a link in the email and I click on it I get "Can Not Display Page" or if I click on an attachment nothing happens. I have updated virus and spyware protection and scanned but everything is clean. I have uninstalled outlook express by a method I found on the internet which told me to rename certian files and then go into regedit to delete out several lines. Then I downloaded outlook and reinstalled it. I thought for sure that would take care of the problem but I just got an email with a link in it to click on and also an email with an attachment and I still have the same problem. I am at a total loss. Does anybody have any ideas?
    Dave

Peripatetic member

Default Re: Can't open links in outlook express

Yes, I have some ideas, but as I'm not an expert, they're only suggestions.

I see you've started a new thread for what seems to be the same problem you posted a couple of days ago? (Not a good idea, as that gave info people may now ask for again)
    In that thread, you spoke of updating your protection programs etc...

As you can open emails, but not attachments, the problem seems to be that your security is set too high.
    Can't remember the choices, as I'm in Firefox at present, but go Tools/Internet Options/Security & follow your nose..

I had some settings mysteriously changed recently when I upgraded my free ZoneAlarm. Maybe your updates have provided the weirdness we get them to avoid?
    So my next step would be to check software settings to see what they're blocking now, as opposed to original versions which were working.

Sorry I can't be more specific tonight.
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable is online to provide the fine tuning I can't?

Thumbs up Re: Can't open links in outlook express

Hello Laura,
    I kind of figured that after I reinstalled Outlook Express and still had the problem that it was probably a setting somewhere. I didn't think of my ZoneAlarm. I have the paid version. I checked my email settings in ZoneAlarm and the "Email Attachment Protection " was on. I disabled that and everything works fine. Thanks alot.
    The reason I started a different thread because I didn't think the title for the first one was right and I might not get the right person looking at it. In the future I'll remember to not do that again.
    Thanks again.

Try going start-run and type in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
    Then enter. Ensure Outlook Express is closed when doing this.
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?

That is the most common one that fixes the problem, but if it fails, try these others...

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?

Peripatetic member

flyinghigh4:

Glad you got sorted.

I struggled for ages trying to solve my problem & should've asked on this forum earlier myself.
    I got my clue from either the forum's Search facility or Google ( can't remember now) and was surprised to find that ZoneAlarm - which I'd used without difficulty until then - has a reputation for changing settings during upgrades.
    Or maybe newbs like me don't manage the configuration well enough?
    Anyway, it's a check worth remembering.