Default I just have to share this one

I have been trying to get into the Recovery Console, so I can remove GRUB (not because I'm disillusioned with Linux ...... but it's a sad saga & I don't want to go there just now). My password would not work, then I discovered this:

"Recovery Console Password

On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
    Exit Registry and Reboot"

It worked a treat, & I just used the Fixboot & Fixmbr commands, all done

Here is the link to the site; http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm

Default Re: I just have to share this one

Glad it worked for you
    It's a well known problem and there are a couple of other hacks around for this problem as well
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

OK thats all well and good, what would you do in this situation...

Recently I changed from FC4 to Gentoo. I was also changing my drives around. So I wiped all but one partition (there were 4 partitions on the 80GB old slave drive, 1 fat32, 3 linux), as well as completely wiped the other drive (old master 40GB). On that partition was a Ghost of my Windows setup (which was a pre-internet connection image of Windows but with all apps).

Swapped the drives, so that the 80GB drive was now master, and the 40GB was slave (to have Gentoo installed on it).
    Ghosted from non-wiped partition. That went well. Then went to boot into Windows. Got HAL.dll missing error. Thought ok, will run recovery off Win XP Pro CD. It asked for an admin password. There is no admin password so I couldn't go any further. Incidentally, pressing enter didn't work either.
    Thought dabnammit, wiped the partition and reinstalled clean Windows.

Now, my question is, how could I have beaten the (non-existant) password? I couldn't get into Windows to do a reg hack so this idea wouldn't have helped..

This question is for future reference (and sorry to hijack the thread, but I figured they were relevant to each other)
    Last edited by Myth; 28-08-2005 at 11:27 PM.
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    Now, my question is, how could I have beaten the (non-existant) password? I couldn't get into Windows to do a reg hack so this idea wouldn't have helped..

This question is for future reference (and sorry to hijack the thread, but I figured they were relevant to each other)
    That's fine. Actually my experience was a sorry saga too. My fault entirely; I hadn't used partitioning software for some time and was a bit reckless with it and lost my entire 30gb slave drive, which held all my files, including digital photos on the ntfs partition, and Gentoo on a linux partition. Luckily I had backups on cd for 90% of my photos and other files, but Gentoo is gone. I was able to recover the balance of photos with an excellent program called "Recover my files" (I used the trial version to see if it worked and had to fork out US $84 for the full version to actually re-install found files).

I intend to re-install Gentoo sometime this week, when I can grab a few hours, and have downloaded the 2005.1 universal cd. I'm actually considering getting a large harddrive, say 80gb - 120 gb and partitioning that for windows and Linux. That would make setting up Grub a lot less complicated too.

If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the 2005.1 Universal CD.
    I can also include my grub.conf, which will give you an idea of how mine is set up (although I did use genkernel so the kernel and initrc names may be slightly different). I have Windows on the master (not that I ever use it) and Gentoo on the slave.

Thanks Tazz,

Actually I've already downloaded the 2005.1 universal cd, but thanks anyway.
    I definitely would be interested in your grub.conf file and I am planning on using genkernel too.
    Did you use the on-line handbook? or print out the whole thing.
    I printed out the whole 2004.3 handbook & I don't particularly want to do that again (I suppose there would be too many changes for it to be relevant on all points), so I might see how I get on with either one on cd or on-line one.
    It would absolutely be the best handbook I've come into contact with.

I actually had my laptop set up beside me and was reading the online handbook.

This is my grub.conf:

default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hdb2 udev
    initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r6

title=Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Note the root harddrives - (hd0,0) being hda and (hd1,0) being hdb.
    The second number is 0 only because Windows C: and my Gentoo /boot partitions are in the first partition for each drive

As you can see my / partition is on hdb2 (I also have swap on hdb3 and /home on hdb5) .. hdb4 is the extended partition which contains hdb5
    Last edited by Myth; 29-08-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Tazz,
    Your setup looks similar to mine; although in saying that I'm a bit confused when installing Grub.

Basically I have 2 hard drives; The first one has 2 partitions (c & d or hda1 & hda2) and runs XP Professional. The second one is partitioned into NTFS (hdb1) & another partition for me to install Gentoo onto. Which I guess should/could be
    hdb2 - boot, hdb3 - swap and hdb4 - root.
    This worked for me last installation & it's used as an example in the handbook.

I realise that under Grub, hdb2 becomes hd1,1 etc.
    But I usually manage to get it wrong.

In your situation, I would think your grub.conf would look like this:

default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd1,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hdb4 udev
    initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r6

title=Windows XP Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

The only thing that MAY change is your kernel version and your initrd (initramfs) version. But the handbook tells you how to check to see what these are, it also tells you to write them down which is what I did. While setting up Gentoo I also wrote down what each partition was for and the file-system used (i.e. in my case hdb1 = /boot - ext2, hdb2 = / - ext3, hdb3 = swap, hdb5 = /home - ext3)

That "grub.conf" worked a treat, Thanks Tazz.

But as I've got some issues with the installation I think I should start another thread.