Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default Stingray Firewall

For your information:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/a...5f3/?cpg=wnrdf

What do you think of it?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Default Re: Stingray Firewall

waste of time for home users.

a firewall is a little pointless without application control otherwise any nasties that get on the pc get full access to the net.

might make a nice addition to a small corprate network, tho full testing would have to be done to compare it against existing products.
    Tweak it till it breaks

H-E-L-L-O how many end users that we know know what an application control is? I've had my Stingray for a number of months now and feel that it definately delivers what it says. In fact, just to know that the door is shut to intruders w/o the need for continual configuration is a relief. After all, having a firewall that you have to continually program because of its static nature, can be a headache. And if we know how to program the unit, how often do we become stagnant and leave it that way until we feel that we must reprogram it again? Let's not continually dwell in a reactive approach to security but become proactive with securing our privacy. With my Stingray, I do not worry about this anymore. Plus, my Stingray also comes with an anti virus and anti trojan application which prevents any 'NASTIES' from getting into my computer. I've seen alot of friend's and associate's computer becoming corrupted and infected and I just smile before I tell them what I use. I guess, you are right when you say that it is a great corporate solution as well, remote site management and travelling can definately benefit from a Stingray unit. Since having my Stingray, I've become more attuned to my Internet activities and can instantly tell if someone is trying to get in. I am sorry if I am being a bit caulky but with all the news and spectulations flying around, I thought it might be interesting to hear from an actual run of the mill end user who understands security but can't be bothered with all the hassles and maintenance that we are continually subject too.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    H-E-L-L-O how many end users that we know know what an application control is?
    ALL OF THEM

if they don't know it they will soon learn it and trust me after the usual bout of spyware/malware/trojens they will learn very quickly, exspecially after they spend $$$ getting their pc cleaned out every few months.
    Tweak it till it breaks

I've had my Stingray for a number of months now and feel that it definately delivers what it says. Plus, my Stingray also comes with an anti virus and anti trojan application which prevents any 'NASTIES' from getting into my computer.
    And how about antispyware? And as for AV and antitrojan - you do update the thing right? If you don't, protection becomes obsolete. So saying no maintenance is required is not true.
    Personally I like to be able to control what asks for access OUT as well as what comes in. Amazing how many parts of Windows wants to report home.
    I've seen plenty of systems with firewalls that are happily allowing all sorts of traffic and the users sit ther oblivious to it all. Until the infections start.

I thought it might be interesting to hear from an actual run of the mill end user who understands security but can't be bothered with all the hassles and maintenance that we are continually subject too
    Sorry to disagree but...
    An end user that understands security can definitely be bothered.
    And I certainly don't view maintenance as a hassle, it's a necessity.

Oh,
    And welcome to PF1
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your comments. Let me alabrate on my previous reply. What I meant to say is, alot of individuals do not have the time or knowledge to continually maintain a security solution. After all, if done right, it can become quite a daunting and tedious task. After installing my Stingray, I have aleviated alot of the maintenance issues. The AV is updated automatically and it seems to be doing quite a good job. FYI after I got rid of Nortons and installed Stingray's AV, I found about 15 trojans THAT NORTON NEVER PICKED UP. The anti spyware that I use is free from microsoft and seems to be doing a great job. I am not saying that Stingray is the end all but their security suite does make life a hell of alot easier. I have also heard alot of comments from different individuals but have any of you used a Stingray? Thank you for the welcome gesture.

""alot of individuals do not have the time or knowledge to continually maintain a security solution.""

They learn fast or pay a tech to sort out the consequences.

From a review site:

Instead of configuring options and rules like a typical firewall; with the Stingray Firewall you push the "Bypass" button and the firewalling will be disabled. You run your application, and then when your done you push the button again to re-activate the Firewall.

It proved to be easy enough and we only had to use the Bypass button for a few things like P2P filesharing, printer and filesharing on a LAN, etc. The majority of applications work fine, the Stingray recognizes the traffic and lets it through.

The drawback to the push button method of the Stingray is that you have to push the button Every single time you make a connection that the firewall would block otherwise.

The other primary limitation is that the Stingray line speed is only 10Mbps. This is a good thing because it extremely limits the possibility of a DoS attack, but could be a bad thing too, because it also limits file transfer speed over a LAN ( if the Stingray is in-between a pc or LAN segment and the rest of the LAN ).
    The "Bypass" button is essentially an "On\Off" button except it doesn't stop the flow of data being transferred through the Stingray. Instead it just stops the Firewall protection and lets all data pass through.

The antivirus it comes with is Avast.
    That could have been downloaded separately anyway.

Smile Re: Stingray Firewall

You forgot to finish the sentence;

The other primary limitation is that the Stingray line speed is only 10Mbps. This is a good thing because it extremely limits the possibility of a DoS attack, but could be a bad thing too, because it also limits file transfer speed over a LAN ( if the Stingray is in-between a pc or LAN segment and the rest of the LAN ). However, if you place the Stingray at the root of your internet connection, that being directly after the modem, then it will not create a bottleneck. The average Cable\DSL Modem has a downstream speed of 3 or 4Mbps; since the Stingray runs at 10Mbps, the Stingray will not "slow" down your internet connection.

OR

The scope of this review will not cover the effectiveness of Avast Anti-Virus. I will say though that of all the AV programs I have used (AVG, Norton, McAfee, AntiVir, etc etc ) Avast Professional if not the best, is one of the best Anti-Virus programs out there. It runs with a low footprint and has a very nice feature similar to windows "System Restore".

AND FINALLY

The Stingray Intelligent Hardware Firewall is a small but friendly Firewall that is easy to use and effective; especially when combined with the Avast Anti-Virus program. It should eliminate the possibility of many threats a typical home or mobile user would be exposed to.

Alot of things can be said and opinions given but until you try it, its mere speculation don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by pctek
    ""alot of individuals do not have the time or knowledge to continually maintain a security solution.""

They learn fast or pay a tech to sort out the consequences.

From a review site:

Instead of configuring options and rules like a typical firewall; with the Stingray Firewall you push the "Bypass" button and the firewalling will be disabled. You run your application, and then when your done you push the button again to re-activate the Firewall.

It proved to be easy enough and we only had to use the Bypass button for a few things like P2P filesharing, printer and filesharing on a LAN, etc. The majority of applications work fine, the Stingray recognizes the traffic and lets it through.

The drawback to the push button method of the Stingray is that you have to push the button Every single time you make a connection that the firewall would block otherwise.

The other primary limitation is that the Stingray line speed is only 10Mbps. This is a good thing because it extremely limits the possibility of a DoS attack, but could be a bad thing too, because it also limits file transfer speed over a LAN ( if the Stingray is in-between a pc or LAN segment and the rest of the LAN ).
    The "Bypass" button is essentially an "On\Off" button except it doesn't stop the flow of data being transferred through the Stingray. Instead it just stops the Firewall protection and lets all data pass through.

The antivirus it comes with is Avast.
    That could have been downloaded separately anyway.
    I have to say PCTECH that this sounds like a great device, some people don't want to know how these things work or wouldn't understand, and if pushing a button is as complicated as it get's, that's great, home user's don't want the hassle of going to see a tech for problem's
    Wouldn't surprise me if MS picks something like this up, and sells as it's own..
    It's got the fisherprice mentality about it, which is great for the home user..