Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default The Poop on Nano-things In The Future....

I think Soloman said it best: "there's nothing new under the sun".

He has been right so far. Even curmudgeons who hate any reference to the Bible cannot argue that "new" things aren't just a variation of a pre-existing theme or process or design.

This ya gotta read to see where I am going here:

In the world of bacteria, GEOBACTER already has a fan club based on its ability to metabolize metals, making it very useful in cleaning toxic material out of soil or water. Now, researchers at the University of Massachusetts have made a remarkable discovery: These bacteria poop nanowires. Nice, long (on this scale) wires, 3-5 nanometers in diameter. And they're conductive. The composition of the wires is still unknown, but the gene in control of the process has been identified, opening the possibility of customizing the, uh, output.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: The Poop on Nano-things In The Future....

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46
    He has been right so far. Even curmudgeons who hate any reference to the Bible cannot argue that "new" things aren't just a variation of a pre-existing theme or process or design.
    So what was the pre-existing theme of computers before there were any?

Typewriter various,Pencil & paper, Goose quill & Parchment, Chisel on Stone, Cave Paintings???? PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

pctek: ya gotta remember here that 'puters are just a data retrieval machine. If you think for the moment, then data that is preserved in books, written in stone or poarchment or papyrus also are data retrieval devices. Scratching forms and squiggles in the sand also fit this catagory, and although sand is a poor media for long term storage, it is easily "fdisk'd" when you need to start all over again.

And, of course, the greatest data storage resource is the brain, which by current estimates only uses 3 to 5% of it's capacity. Some creatanous individuals may be disturbed by this numerical value however.

So, actually, libraries also qualify as a data storage/retrieval facility. And concerning libraries, as a sidebar here I do like the really neat thing Dr. Carl Sagan said about the library at Alexandria. He said: "If the library in Alexandria had not been destroyed, we would be walking on the stars now".

The loss of all the world's gathered sciences, technology and thoughts and recorded histories took the world back on it's butt into the dark ages; the wheel had to be invented all over again so to speak. Maybe the old code was written in L***x and nobody could read it.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?