Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I convert audio (cassette) to WMA?

Hi, I have about 5 hours of interview I recorded on a cassette dicta for my Uni research. I would like to somehow copy it to my computer and convert it into WMA so I can listen to it on my CD player. Can I do this with my laptop - use the "line in" and record it somehow?? or do I need a special programe. I have an Acer with 260GHz and 704MBR, 10GB of HD space, and running XP. Please can you explain simply for a computer dummy. Thanks, Aporosa

Default Re: How do I convert audio (cassette) to WMA?

Not too schooled up on audio but I would have thought Windows Media Player and Windows sound recorder could handle that?
    Yes/No?
    Someone around here is sure to know
    Last edited by bartsdadhomer; 04-08-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

You could try using Audacity. Haven't had much experience with it myself, but I think it lets you convert between .wav and .wma etc. which is what you're wanting.
    You could just record it using the line-in as you said, and then convert with this prog.

You could just record it using the line-in as you said, and then convert with this prog.

Re this comment, how do you do this???

To record: Plug the headphone or line out from your tape player into the line in on your computer, hit play on your tape player and record on audacity.
    To convert: Sorry, upon extra investigation you cant convert to .wma, but you can to .mp3. to do this you need to Download lame_enc.dll and put it somewhere you will be able to find it. Then select File, export as .mp3, choose the name to save your file as, find that dll file when asked to (only have to find it once) and its done!! the mp3 file will be about 1/3 the size of the .wav file that would have been saved otherwise, so definitely worthwhile.
    Hope this helps.

windoze sound recorder will only record about one minute.........lol
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

so now we're looking for an app that will join 300 1min clips together
    should be something out there surely...
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

Did anyone read my posts? Record using Audacity... It will record untill its told to stop. No need for Windows Sound Recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by roddy_boy
    Did anyone read my posts? Record using Audacity... It will record untill its told to stop. No need for Windows Sound Recorder.
    Exactly! Audacity was the program I used to help a mate out. We plugged a turntable into line in on the sound card, Had to select line in as default recording rather than mic. He is currently recording all his long playing records to hard drive and can be converted using Nero. He wants to play these old LPs on his CD player in his lounge or also in his car.

OK, it looks like I need to get this Audacity thing to record, but what is Audacity? Is it a programme you can download? Did someone say its comes with Nero? If yes, what version? If you can just point me in the right direction, I'll be real happy. Thanks for all your help.