Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why's NZ the only country

Why does broadband have stupid traffic limits and bandwidth allowances when most other countrys don't? You'd think if a company released a mediocre broadband plan, like 128kbps-256kbps with just no stupid limit with maybe $30-$40/month then they'd take the market, right??????????????????????

My wonders are, perhaps the small population?
    The country's undeveloped to that extent?

Some sort of answer would calm my fury grrr

Default Re: Why's NZ the only country

Too many chiefs not enough indians, as the saying goes.

Long time RTS Gamer

I suspect they want to limit the speeds transmitted, becuase they do not want to pay too much international internet traffic. They is probably limited international bandwidth available, so this is one way to mnimise it. Also, a lot people aren't clever enough to tune their TCP/IP window settings to make the best use of what we got.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT_NZ
    a lot people aren't clever enough to tune their TCP/IP window settings to make the best use of what we got.
    Sounds interesting. care to post some instructions? I'm all for getting the most I can out of my 256k connection

Long time RTS Gamer

You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

NZ is a very remote country with a low population to share the bandwidth costs compared to many other countries and regions.

The cables are both long and therefore expensive. Its not subsidised by Government, due to the "privatisation" policies adopted years ago. If it was Governemnet owned and subsidised, the cost would appear elsewhere in taxes. At least this way the user pays?

Yeah, I think its the cable issue out of the country.

Theoretically I am on a 2meg download, on saturn cable, so i arn't complaining

Many other countries have speed and data caps, NZ is not alone in this.

Personally I am all for a reasonable data cap (reasonable to me means getting your monies worth, no restricting it to 2GB because thats does your granny)

As for modem tweaks, do a line speed test, if your getting the speed you paid for then what exactly does anyone imagine tweaking will do?,give you faster feed then what its being governed to?,somehow I dont think so....
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterofmercy
    ou'd think if a company released a mediocre broadband plan, like 128kbps-256kbps with just no stupid limit with maybe $30-$40/month then they'd take the market, right??????????????????????
    r
    you can get 256k unlimited for $50 a month,and Slingshot are even giving away a nice line of Billion Routers with the service.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
    Too many chiefs not enough indians, as the saying goes.
    Yep there one point.

another one is that Telecom does NOT what people to start using voip, & Thatís one reason why imo we have there crappie uploads speeds ( I am happy with the 2m download & the 10 GB bandwidth cap, I am just not happy with the upload speed, as I upload a lot of thing e.g. websites etc...)

if we had better upload/download speeds then more people would use voip & that would mean less money for Telecom & Thatís all what Telecom what to do is make Money! $$$$

& I think another reason why Telecom/the NZ Govt donít what to unbundle our local lop is because Telecom would loss money & Telecom donít what to do that.

Plus I think the NZ Govt is in the 90ís instead of been in 2005 in the way they look at the internet in NZ