Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18

    Default Apple ipod vs WMA

    There is a new legal music site (Coke Tunes) which only downloads
    WMA files and does not support ipod transfers....

    Have I bought a pup with the ipod or is there a way to convert WMA to MP3
    files to transfer to the ipod...

    If there is a method....will it impact on the quality?

    TIA
    Deep, deep, deep undercover...

  2. #2
    Lets play Metla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mega City One
    Posts
    16,227
    better Dredd then dead

  3. #3
    Lets play Metla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mega City One
    Posts
    16,227

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    meh.

    Sorry, but you are unable to access CokeTunes. To access this site you need:
    A PC with a Microsoft Windows Operating System; Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP
    Internet Explorer version 6.0 or above. Version 6.0 is available free from Microsoft. Click here to find out how to install it onto your PC.


    Are we all up to the task of a mass mail to coketunes?
    better Dredd then dead

  4. #4
    "time is running out" Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    Quote Originally Posted by 007
    There is a new legal music site (Coke Tunes) which only downloads
    WMA files and does not support ipod transfers....

    Have I bought a pup with the ipod or is there a way to convert WMA to MP3
    files to transfer to the ipod...

    If there is a method....will it impact on the quality?

    TIA
    Interestingly, Digirama state that in order to play their files on an iPod, you can download them as per usual, then in Windows Media Player, create a CD, then import the songs from the CD into iTunes. I wonder if a similar approach would work for Coketunes?

    Digirama's approach is curious, because to my way of thinking, what they advocate seems to violate NZ copyright in the form of format transfer. Am I right in thinking this?

    Lizard

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    44,851

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    Or to make it easier download whatever, convert and use Winamp with the Ipod plugin. This lets u copy MP3's to the Ipod from the hdd, and vice versa.

    Then u wont need Itunes.

  6. #6
    Large Member plod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,413

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    itunes for windows will import unprotected wma into mp3 for you

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard
    Interestingly, Digirama state that in order to play their files on an iPod, you can download them as per usual, then in Windows Media Player, create a CD, then import the songs from the CD into iTunes. I wonder if a similar approach would work for Coketunes?

    Digirama's approach is curious, because to my way of thinking, what they advocate seems to violate NZ copyright in the form of format transfer. Am I right in thinking this?

    Lizard
    It's cunning of digiRAMA, to say this but perfectly fine because the first step - burn the music to CD, is part of the license conditions (you can actually burn many CDs) and steps 2 & 3 are encouraged by everyone including Apple NZ (even though Yes that part is technically illegal in NZ)

    I'm not overly impressed with coketunes, they're giving away a feelers track and they don't even sell the feelers' music, + the site is a bag of crap, bares a striking resemblance to www.mycokemusic.com, good old re-skining.

  8. #8
    "time is running out" Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    Quote Originally Posted by Pmin
    It's cunning of digiRAMA, to say this but perfectly fine because the first step - burn the music to CD, is part of the license conditions (you can actually burn many CDs) and steps 2 & 3 are encouraged by everyone including Apple NZ (even though Yes that part is technically illegal in NZ)

    I'm not overly impressed with coketunes, they're giving away a feelers track and they don't even sell the feelers' music, + the site is a bag of crap, bares a striking resemblance to www.mycokemusic.com, good old re-skining.
    I agree with you about the site - I had no end of problems last night trying to get their "Music Manager" download assistant to install - and it's not the most efficient or friendly search interface. But otherwise it's not too bad. It's got far more choice than digirama (though Coke doesn't have some stuff that Digirama does have) - I feel it's a welcome addition. Ultimately, though, I hope it encourages Apple to up the ante and launch in NZ already!

    Lizard

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    44,851

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    I just tried that free feelers song off Coketunes.

    Used Jetaudio + (this isnt free tho), to convert it from WMA to MP3. Used Winamp + the Mlipod plugin. Sweet as. Plays fine on the Ipod.

    So all this hype on the news saying Coketunes songs dont work on an Ipod are wrong.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 10-08-2005 at 11:37 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Apple ipod vs WMA

    The free Feelers track doesn't have any DRM applied to it, you could have copied it to your iPod without even converting it to mp3.

    That is the only track on Coketunes like that.

Similar Threads

  1. Apple iPod, MP3 disaster - help needed!
    By decibel in forum PressF1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-07-2008, 10:15 PM
  2. Apple Ipod
    By Tracer-Bullet in forum PressF1
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM
  3. Apple 60 GB iPod Vidoe......150 USD
    By adeoye in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-04-2006, 09:36 AM
  4. Apple iPod success unlikely to last
    By Strommer in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 15-05-2005, 10:51 AM
  5. OT: Apple iPod vs creative mp3
    By Codex in forum PressF1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-11-2004, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •