Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got another sucker with HTML Email

I keep getting HTML Emails all the time, when plain text Emails could of done just as well, with the larger unneeded sized Emails (and together with un-called for spam Email) must really limit internet bandwidth.

And you have it, the number one villain in my opinion is Microsoft who sets up HTML Email as default when you install their software.

I just love to reply with white text on white background, one thread lasted for about a week before some joker in the UK gave up saying he could not read any of my Emails, all he had to do was to convert my reply to plain text Email and my message would of been clear as black on white.

And guess what yet I found another bug with Microsoft software, when I convert someone else Email from HTML to plain text Email the spell checker does not work.

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: Got another sucker with HTML Email

Welcome to PF1.

I doubt if Microsoft will take any notice of a complaint --- they are too interested in providing a rich and fulfilling user experience.

About all you can do is try to educate people who do this to you. Or, like some people who can't be bothered with such nonsense, set your mail system to reject any email with attachments.

If you use Outlook Express and dont have MS Office installed, the spell check wont work.

The file u need is csapi3t1.dll, which I think is on the windows cd somewhere.

Well, its on the XP CD.

You have to install office for spell check to work, or install a 3rd party spell checker program.

I have given up on educating people, not even the newspapers/magazines do it, and they must get hundreds of Emails everyday.

People don't have the courtesy to ask you if you would like a LARGE file before they send it your way, and you ask your local householders if you can use the phone line to log on for a minute to get your Email, and takes about 20 minutes while this large file chokes your Email box, mean while you get lots of angry fellow householders telling to get off Internet so they can spend all night talking on the phone.

People still don't know what Bcc: is all about before they send off a Email to lots of people, and you print off their Email and the first page is filled with names and Email address, then they wonder why spam is so ripe.

No sorry, if people don't wish to learn I will have fun with my little game.

Bye the way to get a spell checker for outlook express, go to google and ask for "spell checker for outlook express"

Pedant and proud of it

The NZ Listener explicitly state on the Letters page that they don't accept emails with attachments.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

You will never win or succeed in educating people, because the vast majority don't, and will never know any better. They just use what Microsoft have provided, and think it is "cool" to have fancy fonts and pictures and all sorts of colours and pictures in their emails, and send huge bit-map pictures, and huge files as attachments. May as well give up now
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt
    You will never win or succeed in educating people, because the vast majority don't, and will never know any better.
    Not only that, but most people don't care. I sure don't care A dozen HTML emails or a dozen plain text emails isn't going to affect my internet experience that I'll ever notice. I mean I surf the net every day, downloading the same HTML (in fact much more HTML than is usually sent in an email), so why should I worry about emails containing the same thing?

Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Terry this is my whole point why I hate HTML Emails NOBODY uses the advantage of HTML about from company emails, I got a HTML Email last night, it was, excess me while I have a yawn !!!!!!! it was just black text on white, they may of well sent a plain text Email. so I sent a reply in white text on white.

as for these comments "A dozen HTML emails or a dozen plain text emails isn't going to affect my internet" that's is like saying "why travel within the legal speed limit and promote road safety no one else does"

On Safari

All MS's fault, what were they thinking, or not thinking as the case may be. HTML has it's place but not for e mails.

Plain Text thanks and resize the darn pics of the ankle biters / new puppy etc before sending too. Downloading picture attachments straight from someone's camera is a pain on dial up.

MS again as the installed pic viewer doesn't show them actual size unless a tiny button on the bottom is clicked. The comment, "I deleted that new picture viewer / resizer you sent me, my pictures all showed up larger than the screen" shows that confusion is rife.
    MacBook Pro ~ OSX 10.7 ~ 32g iPad 2 ~ XT Mobile Broadband.

Talking Re: Got another sucker with HTML Email

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L
    About all you can do is try to educate people who do this to you.
    Educate people?

Signitures are good for this. If the hint is given 100 times it sometimes gets in. My pet hate is people bradcasting my address in bulk email. Having the signiture below reduced this, but of course i still get the occational chain letter from those who should know better.

HTML mail irrates me less, but i'd still prefer it to go away unless done for a better reason than "default settings".

Perhaps we should both add "plain text e-mail preffered" to our signitures?

[i]--
    Cheers♪♫♪!
    ♪♫♪ Chris.
    +64 21xxx xxx
    www.millerton.co.nz
    ICQ#xxxxxxx
    P.O.Box xxxxx Phillipstown ChCh NZ
    xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.co.nz is my personal address.
    Please do not publish it by placing the address in the "to:" or "cc:" fields
    of any bulk or group email.
    :-){/i]

PS forum software added the HTML tags to my sig. I allways send mail as plain text.