Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Paradise.net connection

Morning all.

I've recently been having a few issues with my paradise.net connection. These have been going on for about the last three weeks, and I finally found some time to speak to Paradise over the weekend about this.

To summarise:

> Slow connection speeds. Used to get about 52 kbps, recently only been getting between 12 and 20 kbps.
    > Connection disconnects at will after about four minutes. Usually have to reboot to get connected again.
    > Sometimes the modem switches itself off (can hear it go 'click' in the PC), though this is not common
    > Outlook Express has started asking for passwords when clicking on 'Send/Receive'. Missus can't remember hers from years ago, so she can't access e-mails. ( Boy am I suffering!!! )
    > Modem has started screeching when it tries to connect, and is very loud. Under "properties" the volume control is on 'off', so that's got me buggered.

As mentioned above, this just started happening out of the blue about 3-4 weeks ago, prior to that we've had no problems, and I can't think of anything I've done to or with the PC that could have caused this.

Paradise's solution was to add a line under Modem/Phone 'properties' that according to them slows the connection speed to half, BUT makes the connection more stable.

Huh? Up to about a month ago I was getting 52kbps every time, and it was the epitome of stable. I don't understand why they believe this fix is the best solution???

The point of this? Well, before I go back to Paradise I would appreciate some thoughts as to where the problems may lie. Is it Paradise, is it my PC or could it be a combination of both?

My immediate problem is getting rid of the password screen that pops up when trying to receive e-mails...that's copping me a fair bit of grief!

Many thanks
    Tim

Default Re: Paradise.net connection

ring telecom on 123 and get them to do a line check for you......also perhaps try the pc at another jackpoint/house......maybe your modem is dying.......do you unplug it when theres a storm ?.......you should
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Check for spyware/adware.

Get hijackthis http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

From here http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Make a folder called HJT. Unzip this file into it, run it, and scan and post a log of it here.

Ring telecom to check for line noise.

Make sure there's not a lot of phones/extensions going into the phone jack.

This wont help the problem!

What version of Windows is this?

To get rid of the password window in Outlook Express, go into it again. And then go to Tools/accounts/Mail.

Highlight the email that has no password and click on remove.

Not much use, using it if u cant remember the password, or ring Paradise, (if this is a Paradise email addy), and tell them you've forgotten the email, and ask for another password.

Also check Tools / options / connection tab in Outlook Express. Untick hang up after sending and receiving. This will stop u getting cut off, after checking email (if this is happening).

If you're using dialup, (with XP), go into the dialup / properties / general / configure.

Untick enable modem speaker.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 28-07-2005 at 08:44 AM.

[QUOTE=allblack
    Paradise's solution was to add a line under Modem/Phone 'properties' that according to them slows the connection speed to half, BUT makes the connection more stable.

Huh? Up to about a month ago I was getting 52kbps every time, and it was the epitome of stable. I don't understand why they believe this fix is the best solution???
    [/QUOTE]
    Its a standard thing they tell all the junior helpdesk people. I've never understood why they think its a magic fix for everything. In theory if you are having issues with the line the modem will have trouble connecting at high speed, therefore you dump it down. To me thats a cop out not a real fix.

One: Get your lines checked - have you noticed noise on the phone line?
    Two: Try another modem too - they are dirt cheap now so won't be an expensive test.
    Three: Recreate your email account. Actually Paradise did have a problem the other day with the passord for email, is yours continual or was it just while they had whatever problem at their end?

Quote Originally Posted by pctek
    Its a standard thing they tell all the junior helpdesk people. I've never understood why they think its a magic fix for everything. In theory if you are having issues with the line the modem will have trouble connecting at high speed, therefore you dump it down. To me thats a cop out not a real fix.
    Cutting the connect speed by half would be a cop out but some modems do connect at unrealistic speeds. If you check the modem after disconnecting it will almost certainly have throttled back to a much slower speed. The icon in windows only shows the speed reported at the initial connect not subsequent changes.

That said allblack may be a Telstra customer whose copper wire typically goes a shorter distance to a cabinet rather than back to the exchange. In that case Telecom wouldn't have anything to do with the problem

considering the modem is now screeching i suspect someones upgraded the modem driver, possibly from windows update.

check what modem driver your useing, uninstall it and reinstall your old driver.

That said allblack may be a Telstra customer whose copper wire typically goes a shorter distance to a cabinet rather than back to the exchange. In that case Telecom wouldn't have anything to do with the problem
    does telstra have any of it own wires into homes ??? virtually all phones lines are telecom, hence see telecom for phone line faults.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Been having trouble with email client asking for password off and on for a couple of weeks, this is at paradise's end,This has been happening to all paradise customers I know on a varity of machines and OS, so i wouldn't sweat over that issue...

Telstra inherited some of it's own direct connections originally installed as part of the cable TV networks in Wellington and Christchurch.

if he was running on telstra lines wouldn't he be on cable internet not dailup ??
    Tweak it till it breaks

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Paradise email using ADSL has been a bit variable lately, like asking for passwords, which I think is some sort of timeing out problem.

Also I had small spells of not being able to access web-email either.

I rather think the problem lies with Paradise, but it hasn't been to much of a problem to worry about.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"