Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Quiet CPU and Quiet GPU YES!!!

Bought and installed a Zalman 7000B-Alcu 92mm blue led cpu heatsink fan and a Zalman VF700 Cu video graphics card cooler on the weekend.

Best thing I have done for ages,fun wise,and more importantly was not hard to do.The manuals were good,had pictures as well.

Installed on a 3500 AMD and a Albatron GF 6800 which was the souce of the noise from my computer which I was thinking of moving from a Antec SLK 3000B into a Antec P180 because of the noise factor,but now it is so,so quiet I do not need to.

My case fans and northbridge heatsink fan are on a fan controller and so they are quiet as well.

The psu is a ocz 450w modstream with active pfc and has only one 120mm fan which is very quiet anyway.

I also have case matting as well.

I have: 2 x 120mm case fans
    1 x 92mm hsf (cpu fan)
    1 x 40mm northbridge fan
    1 x 80mm gpu fan
    1 x 120mm psu fan

For anybody wanting to quiet their computer I recommend these Zalman components as they did the job for me and it is so much better now.I can hear no noise now!! Yeah,after all these years,slience at last.

Can just hear air movement if I am close to the case not the fans unlike before when i could hear the fans whining.

Also both the cpu and gpu are running cooler as well.
    Last edited by memphis; 26-07-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Default Re: Quiet CPU and Quiet GPU YES!!!

Pure bliss, eh!

Smile Re: Quiet CPU and Quiet GPU YES!!!

Oh gosh yes,I keep looking down at the computer case and checking for noise.

Its made my day and I have been smiling all day like a mad clown thinking about it.

I now cant wait to turn it on and I dont need to turn the radio,tv,music on to drown out the fans.Like I used to.

I just wish I did this ages ago.

It makes the pc so much more enjoyable, I highly recommend to quieten your pc it is so worth while.

Its like the feeling you get when buying a new computer component that you know is going to make a big difference to your pc.

I've recently added two 80mm fans (<21dba) to the rear of my case which immediately brought the CPU temp down 10 degs, so then decided to turn off the front 120mm case fan. But it I can't really hear much difference. I really think I need a fan controller to tweake the RPM's down a bit more. The next loudest component must be the CPU fan ... might need to look at those Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu again

Did the case matting have much noticable affect?

I still can't find a blue 120mm case fan to replace TTs noisy one. :-(

On the subject of quieting things down, (and sorry to hijack the thread temporarily) I currently have a PC Company case housing my computer.
    My PSU (Enermax 420) sits side on with the bottom fan facing the cpu fan (stock standard fan with 2.6GHz Socket 478 P4)
    I am currently modifying an old case where the PSU will sit straight, will this quieten things down a little, or quite a bit. I think (haven't actually eyeballed it) both fans run in the opposite direction to each other and are about 1" to 1 1/2" from each other.
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

why not paint it your self?

both fans run in the opposite direction to each other and are about 1" to 1 1/2" from each other.
    Not good for cooling efficency, the fans are acting against each other. It's probably also setting up undesirable airflows, or lack thereof, in the case which will mean that other components are getting less air than they should.

Don't know if it will quiet things down if you change it for the better unless you have heat sensitive fan controllers on any of the fans, in which case the fans may well run slower and quieter if you change it.

Jen, you'd be much better, noise wise, having one 120mm fan in leiu of the two 80mm ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P
    Jen, you'd be much better, noise wise, having one 120mm fan in leiu of the two 80mm ones.
    I have just done a complete circle with that . I installed a so-called quiet 120mm front case fan to replace the bog standard 120mm iCute fan only to find it sounded louder. Installed 2x quiet rear case fans as well now and turned off the front fan. Didn't make much difference to the noise level, although my case temps have improved greatly with the rear fans

Smile Re: Quiet CPU and Quiet GPU YES!!!

Case matting I added at the same time as the Zalmans so I can not say 100% yes or no if it made a huge difference but I am sure it helped,I just did it as a friend suggested it would help deaden the noise abit.

As for a blue led 120mm fan I know the shop I go to in Chirstchurch has them,www.dragonpc.co.nz and I am (just a customer only.)

I highly recommend a fan controller as it is a easy way to turn your fans down for slience.

I highly recommand a front fan as it brings in cool fresh air into the case cooling the harddrives as it passes through the case.(touch your harddrives an hour after you have turned your pc on and you will be surprised how warm they get).It also replaces the hot air in the case from your components and the rear fan takes out the hot air, so you have a cycle of air moving in your case, cold air in, hot air out.

If you have clerance around your northbridge then you can replace the northbridge hsf for a northbridge heatsink (zalman,coolermaster make those) so that gets rid of a noisey fan.If you overclock you need to have a fan on the northbridge.

I can not replace my northbridge hsf for a northbridge heatsink as I do not have the clearance for one.If I did I would.I am looking to see if I can place a bigger fan(quiter one) near it to cool it instead of the tiny winey 40mm stock standard fan which I will take off but leave the tiny heatsink that came with it there.

120mm fans spin slower but move more air because of there size so (should be quiter.)So having 1 x 120mm at the front and 1 x 120mm at the back would be ideal on a fan controller.

About the psu either a psu that has a fan controller on it or thermally controlled or a psu with just one quiet 120mm fan would be the way to go.