Default London underground temps

Does anyone know why it is so hot in the underground that rescue teams can only work two hours at a time?

I can understand the mental trauma and the rats having an impact but why so hot.

I remember while I was there that the tubes were warm but not that hot...

Anyone?
    Deep, deep, deep undercover...

Default Re: London underground temps

1) It's summer in London
    2) Being a very tight, confined space, when it's crowded with rescue crews and equipment/machinery...
    3) There is probably still heat coming from the wreckage
    4) It isn't a very well ventilated tunnel

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Most probably because the tunnel is sealed off.
    Apparently in that tube there is only about 200mm clearance between tunnel wall and carriage.

Then there is the lighting causing a lot of heat. They need bright lights to carry out the retrieval and forensic work.

When the trains are running normally, the movement of them cause a strong air flow through, and there are ventilation shafts running up to above street level.

Though relatives of missing persons are frustrated at lack of news, just imagine the work involved in trying to retrieve remains splattered everywhere, probably hardly any recognisable parts and all mixed up.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

I haven't been on the underground in London (SWMBO wouldn't do it!), but I have been on undergrounds in Hong Kong and Sydney when I have been on my own. When the trains go through the tunnel, they push huge volumes of air. You feel a huge gust of wind as the train comes out of the tunnel into the station.

I imagine that this also compresses the air enormously, and it would generate a lot of heat, sort of like the nor wester "fohn effect" winds in Canterbury. And as Terry says, in that particular tunnel there is very little space around the train, so I imagine the compression forces are quite high.

That is in addition to the other factors mentioned already. I was surprised to find out how hot it was in London even in October - a dense, muggy sort of heat the like of which I haven't really experienced anywhere in NZ. I found it quite oppressive...

Quote Originally Posted by 007
    Does anyone know why it is so hot in the underground that rescue teams can only work two hours at a time?

I can understand the mental trauma and the rats having an impact but why so hot.

I remember while I was there that the tubes were warm but not that hot...

Anyone?
    As pointed out, it is summer in Europe. And those tunnels are full of transformers and high volume electrical cabling. If you stand at the end of the platform in winter, it does feel slightly warmer. That's why rats go there I suppose, and every now and then, they would stop the train because some idiot walks into one of the tunnels.

Hash Slinging Slasher

The heat wave probably dosen't help the matter

It is always warmer in tunnels deep underground because there is little opportunity for the heat generated by the people/trains/lights etc to escape.

I was in a Circle Line train stopped in a tunnel for a while some years ago and it got very hot inside the train very quickly. If we had had to walk out I imagine it would have been a fairly torrid experience. I understand coal mines etc are similarly hot.

I do not envy them in their task.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

No heatsinks?