Default How to monitor the data that leaves my computer?

Every day, immediately after connecting to the Internet for the first time, I notice that about 75KB of data is sent from computer. This might not sound like a lot, but a text file that size could describe everything I've done for a year! Is there any utility or method that will show me which app is sending the data and what the data is? I should mention that I have up to date anti-spyware and antivirus apps.

Default Re: How to monitor the data that leaves my computer?

Install a firewall.

Use netstat -an or similar (would a Windows XP user confirm the -a or -an options?). This will show you the remote computer you are communicating with.

If you want to get serious, install a linux firewall/router/gateway, and run tcpdump or ethereal packet sniffers.

Install a software firewall such as Zone Alarm or Kerio, both of which are free
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
    http://www.zonelabs.com
    These programs will monitor all incoming and outgoing traffic and tell you what is accessing the net
    You may have answered your own question though

"I should mention that I have up to date anti-spyware and antivirus apps."

Are these proggy set to automatically update? Most of theses apps will look for updates as soon as a connection is made.
    Also there is other legitimate traffic in and out
    Your PC and ISP must "talk" to each other regularly to keep your connection alive, not 75kb though
    Windows itself also has proggys that access the net for legitimate purposes
    The only way you'll find out what's happenning is to install one of the firewalls
    I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months - I just don't dare to interrupt her.

All Star

if you simply want a proggy that monitors the amount of data that enters or leaves your PC, trot over to Download.com and search for costaware, its a kick ass little program that counts up the amount of data that enters and leaves your PC, you can also tell it to ignore data from national servers so it doesnt add to the monthly count up. Its a nice program to use when you want to monitor your downloads if you ever worry about breaching your monthly cap. also monitors data being sent and recieved over a home network. and it all sits in a nice tiny little box in the corner of your screen, or you can tell it to hide in your taskbar.

enjoy.