Thread: Computer Faxing

Default Computer Faxing

I am working with some people who use a program so that they can send fax's from their computer. Normally I would recommend WinFax, but they have to send between 150 - 200 at a time. This is a wine supplier to their customers. Does anyone know of a program that would be able to handle that workload. Symantec have told me that WinFax won't.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Computer Faxing

Quote Originally Posted by ironman
    I am working with some people who use a program so that they can send fax's from their computer. Normally I would recommend WinFax, but they have to send between 150 - 200 at a time. This is a wine supplier to their customers. Does anyone know of a program that would be able to handle that workload. Symantec have told me that WinFax won't.

Thanks in advance.
    Both efax and hylafax will easily handle that load. Plus, you can run it as a cron job (cheaper faxing rates in the evenings?), or as a script you can build faxes from a database and send them to either. Efax and hylafax support a locked fax address directory with aliases etc. Both run on linux and other unix though - I am not aware of a Windows port. Both are open source and free - if you know linux you can run it off an old 486 box connected to a phone line with a cheap fax modem.

perpetual newbie

<scarcasm>
    Did you tell them about this wonderful email thing? It works like a fax, and can easiy handel 200plus recipients.
    </sacrcasm>

Sorry about that, but I don't really like to help people use technologies that are/should be dieing (like dial up).

Hell, if they must start with a paper copy of whatever they are faxing, sell them a scanner.

-Qyiet

Yeah, that was pretty sarcastic wasn't it, but as long as you got a kick out of it eh!

Quote Originally Posted by qyiet
    <scarcasm>
    Did you tell them about this wonderful email thing? It works like a fax, and can easiy handel 200plus recipients.
    </sacrcasm>

Sorry about that, but I don't really like to help people use technologies that are/should be dieing (like dial up).

Hell, if they must start with a paper copy of whatever they are faxing, sell them a scanner.

-Qyiet
    Many companies I know of, do not accept email invoices, quotes, etc, especially if it requires a signature - fax is the next best thing to snail mail. You could do digital signatures, pdf's, md5 sums, encrytion, correspondence numbers via email etc, but it's not good business to harass your business partners or customers into these things. The other problem with email is spam, which then your business partners/customers will have to get a filter etc - I think fax is still a good alternative.

VoidMaster

With a fax you get action fast, emails are ignored. The Boss can tell if a fax has arrived and been ignored. I always make all my appointments at the doctor, dentist, complaints to companies about bad service using the fax. The minions cannot just ignore them.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Cruising Member

Qyiet

Not everyone who owns a computer can afford anything else but dial up. Sarcasm isn't needed when someone asks a question.
    I would love to be on broadband, jet stream or any of those other too expensive technologies. Do you want to pay for it for me?

Cruising Member

Ironman, I have an old copy of Winfax, which I never used on my 98se computer, would that work if I installed it on my Xp Sp1 machine?