Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R18 Video games

Long time RTS Gamer

Default R18 Video games

If they can invent the technology to block R18 videos and films playing, why can't they restrict Video Console games. i.e. you must insert a R18 card or something like that. (sky had something similar, I thought.)

BTW: With PCs parents can block access via security settings.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Default Re: R18 Video games

If the parents are ok with kids playing age restricted games then no lock-out system will do anything, if the parents are against the idea then the games shouldn't be in the house or at least hidden from the children.

If the parents are against the games, yet their kids are playing them, then they should put a bit more effort into being parents...

If the kids are playing them elsewhere, then thats just life, Wrapping up in cotten wool only works when you brainwash the kid completely.

Personally I think its a good idea to have a censor board to provide guidence, But they should shut up at that point and keep the hell out of peoples lives and hoimes.

Was this bought on by the Sunday program?,Can't say I watched it, but judging by the promo the boss of that show needs to be sacked on the spot.
    better Dredd then dead

Long time RTS Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    Was this bought on by the Sunday program?
    Partly, but also from the NZ Herald

This article says
    They found that adolescents undergo dramatic changes in the frontal lobe, or prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain critical to judgment, reason, self-control and planning.
    Therefore I am concerned about exposure to excessive violence.
    Last edited by KiwiTT_NZ; 20-06-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Interesting, Parents that buy the likes of GTA for their children should have their child rearing licenses revoked (and a flying elbow off the top rope).

Be a cold day in hell before I would get that sort of game for my kid (though I do enjoy it myself ,and my boy is only 10 months old)

As for manhunt, that game was banned for good reason (uh.....I have played it, being a huge hypocrite I fully support convicting people who have it in their possession)

That aside, I was playing Doom3 in all its glory when unbeknown to me my 4 year old niece entered and started to watch over my shoulder, First I knew about it was a quiet whimper from her, and she was visibly upset/shaken by what she had seen on the screen.

Not a good scene.
    better Dredd then dead

FWIW, four of us watched the Sunday doc last night, and we were really disgusted and shocked at the violence shown. Chain saws, blood spurting, killing cops? A ban on under 18's should be in order. Hells bells, there should be a total ban on such violent rubbish! OK, I know that at this stage banning would not be 100% effective due to the inevitable black market and overseas ordering, but we live in a very sorry place to have such crap pose as entertainment.

(Oh merciful God, please help me survive the wrath of the WangVegas Wrestler and other die-hard gamers. Vinref, Winston, Help!)

The game is already restricted to R18 isn't it?

The matter now turns to enforcing it.

Personally as an adult I won't ever ask the government what I am allowed to watch or play in my sparetime.

Nor would i go about unleashing media I have no knowledge about on mine or anybody elses children.
    better Dredd then dead

0x50726F6772616D6D6572

Interesting point at the end of that article on Sunday - there are a lot worse violent scenes in GTA than what was (allowed to be) screened in the article. Personally GTA doesn't tickle my fancy at all (speaking even from the first version I've seen being played on the Playstation). It was interesting to see the survey conducted at my old college - and that they didn't mention it by name (possibly for legal reasons, despite how obvious it was given the uniforms).

Metla, you have a perfectly good point about enforcement. I was disturbed to be told by my 5- and 7-year old second cousins that they had been shown "The fast and The Furious", and to witness how their playing together seemed to imitate particular scenes (even though I haven't seen the movie). Seems like many need to pass a course in responsible parenting before being allowed to have kids or look after them.

Well to be honest I have played all 3 GTA games, doom 3, Half Life 2.

I found Half Life better than the others not for its violence, but the graphics and story. I have also played doom and quite a few other violent games.

All the games are based on the same linear point and shoot style of gaming and this is what put me off FPS gaming.

Technically I should be a murdering rampaging killer who would kill for fun.

That is a load of trollop! I am a fully functioning member of society with no desire to kill or maim without reason.

To say that games are encouraging the younger generation to be more violent is only PARTIALLY part of the problem. No-one ever blames the kid friends nor the content of television, or the events which shape the world we live in.
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Anyone read a comic lately? Blood, killing etc etc
    This has been going on for years. Just the media changes.
    My son didn't turn out to be a raving chainsaw wielding psycho.

Monday, June 13 12:00 AM ET
    Real Life Death Match "Not as Fun" as Teens Hoped

Buffalo Grove, IL - Seven teens were killed and two injured during a real-life "death match" they engaged in a suburban Chicago home.

The teens got the idea for the real-life death match after countless hours playing online death matches against one another. "Crazee-Rod always had such high ping times that it slowed everybody else down, so T-Banger said we should just do it for real at his house," said survivor Kevin Wilkins.

The teens placed weapons around the home, then all started from different "spawn points." While they were unable to get a real-life gravity gun, they did get a chainsaw and a .357. "I was disappointed we couldn't get a gravity gun," said Wilkins, "but in retrospect it probably would've made the match unfair for whoever got it."

"I went for the shotgun, because I thought it would be most effective in a close-quarters environment, but nothing beats a chainsaw for that," said Barry Hastert who survived a severed right arm by making it to a "med kit" placed by the stairs.

Then survivors said they knew their idea had gone horribly wrong after seven of their friends were dead. "I kept waiting for Paul and Trevor to respawn, but he just laid there bleeding. That's when I knew we should stop playing. It just wasn't fun after that," said Wilkins.

While saddened by the loss of his friends Hastert said he "totally pwned them" but getting shot in the leg by a .357 was "not as fun" as he'd hoped.

The incident brought renewed calls from local politicians to ban violent video games as well as moronic teenagers. "When you combine violent video games with stupid ideas like these teens had, it's a recipe for disaster. We're just lucky they didn't decide to reenact Katamari Damacy or our whole world could've been in danger from a giant rolling sticky ball," said City Councilperson Bob Stephens.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/06/r...ath_match.html

better Dredd then dead